ⁱⁱ. ᴛᴡᴏ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ
[ ᴡʜᴏ ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ? ]

I AWOKE DURING the early hours of dawn, the slight yellowish tint peaking through the cabins cracks proved so. I rubbed my eyes, clearing them of haze. As I became more aware of my surroundings, my ears picked up on faint groans. Sighing I picked up my knife and headed to the door.

Slowly opening the door to avoid the old wood's  screech, I peaked out. There were three total. My uncle had called them biters, but everyone knew what they really were. Anyone that'd watched any science fiction movie ever or payed any attention to the news during the few days after the breakout knew.

I gripped my knife tightly, patting my waist band for the gun just in case. With the reassurance of the cool metal poking my hip bone, I stepped into the open. I immediately caught the attention of one, which, as it shuffled toward me, attracted the others. I positioned my knife, readying myself to strike. With a swift crunch, I lodged my knife into its skull, killing the undead.

I thrusted my foot into the next, causing it to crash into the ground and freeing my weapon from the bone incasing it. Once more, I brought my knife into the third, killing it just as the last lifted itself from the ground. Stepping back, I stumbled. Lying on the ground, the creature fell into my chest. I gasped for air when I was suddenly unable to breath.

Reaching for my knife, which had fallen from my grasp, I found it was much to far away to reach. Frantically, I searched for anything within my reach. Finding nothing but a small stone, I held it in my hand. Quickly, I brought , down into the side of its head. I repeated my movements until it was still and it's brains leaked out onto my front. I grimaced in disgust, gagging at the smell.

Pushing the foul thing off me, I laid back on the ground, catching my breath. I stared through the tips of the trees, into the blinding sun. The sudden realization that my head was becoming soaked washed over me. My shaking hands touched the back of my head, though coming in contact with a rough object instead. Pulling it into my line of vision I realized it was a rock, though, peculiarly, it was covered in a red substance. My eyes fluttered and panic flooded my mind. I needed to get inside, but I was so exhausted.

Closing my eyes, I allowed my mind the rest it so desperately needed.

Slowly, my eyes opened and for a split second, my mind was peaceful. Then I noticed the pounding from my skull. The bright lights flooding my corneas caused the pain to intensify. Forcing them closed once more, I realized I was moving. My eyes shot open, and ignoring my pain, I forced my elbow into the unassuming sternum of my captor. They dropped me and instead grabbed their pained chest.

Swears flew violently and I took a chance to analyze my captors. There seemed to be more than I could take on at once so i forced the toe of my boot into the back of the knee of the one closest to me. He yelled, but sank nonetheless.

Pulling the gun from my waistband, I held it to his head. They had been stupid to not remove me of any threats while I was unconscious. I suspected it was because they though me of a poor, helpless child. Oh how wrong they were.

"Who are you?" My tone was firm, causing the man below me to squirm.

"Hold on now, princess. I do believe we saved your ass." My eyes flew to a large man, adorned with red hair and likely more muscles than wit.

Pushing the gun into the mans temple, I flicked the safety off. Raising an eyebrow, I stared him in the eyes with a challenging look. A man with dark hair stepped forward. "Listen, we were just trying to help you. Put the gun down and we can have a nice conversation."