chapter twenty-five

When I opened my eyes for a whole new day, my heart immediately felt surprisingly heavy, as if there was something huge lingering inside and I couldn't figure out what. I turned my head sideways and looked around, noticing that the room was larger than my trailer at camp, then realized that I was back at Alya and I's temporary apartment.

Groaning, I searched for my phone under my pillow and checked the time: 5:45 am.

Ugh. I can't believe I woke up this early. On a Sunday. Today was thankfully a free day, because the trip from the camping site all the way back to Hollywood was incredibly long, so majority of the staff agreed with a rest day Sunday.

While I was still squinting my eyes to adjust my groggy vision, I opened the contacts on my phone, searched for Nathaniel's name, then decided to send him a message.

Good morning, Nathy! It's rest day Sunday today, so rest well, okay? :)

I was about to hit 'send', when realization dawned over me.

He wasn't my boyfriend anymore.

We just ended our relationship yesterday, and I can't believe I forgot. Marinette, of all the things to be clumsy and forgetful for, you just had to choose that?

Maybe that was why my morning felt dull and heavy. Although I wasn't in love with Nathaniel, I was undeniably attached to him. Despite the fact that we were both still kinda having "issues" with someone from each of our past, I knew that everything we did together was just as special as what we did with our certain . . . people before. Nathaniel was undoubtedly a good boyfriend, and probably the only guy I can really trust along with Nino.

There's no denying that he definitely earned a special place in my heart.

With a sigh, I erased my message and turned the phone off, placing it beside me.

"Girl," Alya yawned from the bed across from mine, "what happened yesterday? You didn't talk to me when you arrived and just crashed on the bed."

What?

I immediately took my blanket off, then realized that I was still wearing the clothes I wore yesterday.

Was I that tired to the point of ignoring my best friend's existence and just crashing on my bed without changing into comfy pj's?

"Oh," I managed to say, groggily rubbing my eyes as I sat up. "A lot happened."

I sat beside her and proceeded to tell Alya everything. I made sure I didn't miss even the smallest part, because for some reason each and every little detail mattered just as much as everything else. There were a few times when I felt like I was about to cry, and I did. What a nice way to start the day.

"Holy crap, Mari," Alya breathed in disbelief, scooting closer to me, wrapping her arms around my shoulders, "All of that happened within less than a week? Just how emotionally drained could you possibly be?"

I shrugged, wiping the tears that forced to come out once more. Ever since I agreed to do this movie thing with Agreste, everything has been going downhill. The only really happy moments that I can remember was when I was with Nathaniel. But I couldn't really spend my time with him in that way anymore.

"Oh god," Alya mumbled, tightening her hug. "I am so sorry. If I'd never had forced you to audition for the movie, this never would have happened. I'm so, so sorry, Marinette. This is all my fault."

My eyes instantly shot up and I looked at my best friend in shock. "What? No!"

The last thing I want to see is Alya blaming herself for something she didn't mean to do. Sure, she badly wanted me to do this, but she didn't know about Adrien and I. It was my fault as well, for not telling her about us.