chapter twenty-seven

"I knew it. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!" I mumbled to myself as I paced back and forth in front of Alya, who had her arms and legs crossed as she was sitting down on her bed. She looked just as confused and shocked as I was, but she knows how to manage her emotions more than I do. If there's one thing that didn't change about me, it's the fact that I still find it harder to suppress emotions than Alya does; she's always the calmer one.

Chloe. She knew. She knew about my relationship with Adrien. During those years of high school, she knew. But how? Who told her? Adrien? I mean, who else? Banana hoe is obviously the answer to that question. He never loved me, so why would he even try to keep our promises? He probably told a few more people too and made fun of me behind my back.

I can't believe I trusted her. I can't believe I was convinced that she has changed. Of course she hasn't changed. Chloe was never nice without a goal in mind.

"Okay, let's say she knew even back then," Alya begun, tilting her head as she speaks, "Well, she most probably did know even back then. I'm not siding with her, though, but even if she did know, she should've told everyone and just ruined everything else right then and there."

"Chloe's smarter than that, Alya," I said as I stopped walking back and forth, arms crossed as I nervously tapped my foot. "She doesn't look like it, I know. But I feel like she had everything planned the moment she found out about Adrien and I. Maybe Adrien was even part of that plan. And they succeeded. They ruined me."

Alya's eyes turned soft as she spread her arms, pouting. "Come here."

Ah, crap. I wasn't supposed to cry. I told myself that after all the drama and the crying for these past few weeks, I'd have to learn to control it. I hated crying. But as I knelt down and wrapped my hands around my best friend, tears began to flow down my eyes.

"You didn't deserve any of this, Mari," Alya whispered as she tightened her hug, her voice cracking, her hand patting my back. "I don't know why any of this is happening to you, and I'm so frustrated that I can't really do anything to really help you. I'm just here to support you and make sure you don't get hurt again. But Mari, know that you are good enough. Even if these people continue to downgrade your worth, know that you still deserve to be happy and you still deserve to be loved. I'm here for you. I'll always be your best friend. Besides, your parents all the way from Paris can't wait to see you on screen. Let's just finish this movie and we'll go home."

Home. Anywhere far away from this mess.

I nodded and slightly pulled away from Alya to wipe my tears. Crying won't do anything, but it sure does make me feel a lot better after.

"Alya, I think you should consider being a therapist," I joked, which received a small laugh from her. "Seriously, you know just what to say."

"Nah girl, in case you forgot, I find it hard to keep my cool. But I am very willing to take it out on this female asshole Chloe Bourgeois."

"No, there's no need to," I replied, relaxing my shoulders that were tensed up since a while ago. I played with my fingers as I tried to think of what to do next. "I'll just talk to her and ask her how she knew."

"And if she lies?"

I looked up at Alya's brown eyes, trying to search for an answer. Chloe Bourgeois is undeniably smart. So smart to the point where she can basically manipulate the entire life of a person.

"If she lies," I paused. Was revenge even the answer? After I get revenge, then what? Will I be happy? After looking at Alya with a blank face while thinking about it as hard as I can, I continued, "then she lies."