⇝ the strategy of hope ⇜

PEERING OUT FROM AROUND THE BARN'S CORNER, EVA HAD A TERRIBLY FAMILIAR GRIN PLAYING ON HER LIPS

Her eyes were locked on Thor, her uncle, who was directing the Einherjar in a few training exercises. He was expecting Eva for training in an hour, so the younger girl had the element of surprise.

She leaped forward, and with a cry, slashed at Thor.

Thor narrowly avoided her attack, his blue eyes widening as he bent to the floor, rushing to grab a spare sword, and lift it to clash against Eva's attack.

"By Valhalla!" Thor exclaimed. "Are you trying to kill me, Eva?"

A few soldiers turned to look at the interaction.

"Have you missed me, Uncle?" she played as she ducked her head to avoid one of his hits. "I've been training."

He rolled his eyes as his defense was in a frenzy. "Clearly!" he retorted.

Eva's grin widened and her attacks became more frequent as she saw Thor struggle to regain his balance with her offense.

"What's the matter, Uncle?" she pressed, spinning out of his hit before swiping at his feet. "Off your game today?"

"By Odin," Sif's voice chided, and though Eva didn't dare to look away, she smirked. "The two of you really have to do this?"

"She is my niece," Thor defended, pausing for a moment; Eva took the moment to swipe at his sword, which he quickly pulled back. "I am obliged to put her in her place!"

Sif blinked at the two of them sparring. "A good job at that you're doing," she noted, and Eva's grinned widened as Thor swung an exceptionally hard at Eva.

"Have I angered you?" Eva provoked, her grin only growing. "Your hits are positively barbaric, Uncle-"

A few more exchanges and the force of Thor's hit sent Eva tumbling back. she rolled on the ground, reaching for her sword, but Thor's foot was pressed against the blade.

"Very good at talking," Thor told her breathlessly, offering his hand to Eva. "Not as much at defense."

She rolled her eyes and accepted his help, getting to her feet.

"Hello, Eva," Sif greeted, and as Eva brushed stray leaves out of her braided hair, she smiled over to the older girl. "I don't suppose you have your Uncle for training?"

"I do," Eva confirmed. "He promised to show me the targets for archery."

(Which she had not been allowed near until recently. Apparently, younger Eva had a run in with trouble after she shot a leading general.)

(On purpose.)

(In the ass.)

Sif smiled at her, but not a purely happy smile. "Well, I'm sorry to say I'll have to steal him," Sif said, turning to Thor. "Odin's requested that you lead the battle."