⇝ the end of the beginning ⇜

EVA LOKISON DIDN'T KNOW WHERE SHE WAS.

It was pitch black, but the ground beneath her palms was wet and harsh, and the soles of her feet burned as she forced them down, pulling herself up.

Eva couldn't see anything.

But she could hear a lot of yelling.

Not screaming, not screeches for help or anything like that, but yelling.

Deep, hateful, warning sort of yelling.

And they were yelling at her.

She wasn't sure they were yelling at her at first - she just thought that there were other people wherever she was transported, and she just managed to barge in at the most inconvenient time.

"Uh, hello?" she called out, peering up in the dark. She reached for her own arm to make sure that this was a physical realm or whatever. There was silence as her voice echoed into the void.

She blinked. And though it was still dark, there was a light in her head that said hello! Welcome back!

Eva's eyes grew wide, and a smile of disbelief grew to her lips. She remembered. Everything. Every moment. She remembered her magic and her swords and her pet - she had a pet! A cat named Ella like that Midgardian children's book her mother used to read her -

Her mother! She could remember her mother

Eva turned, knowing she had to find Loki - no, father - no

She remembered how she remembered. 

(And then she decided it was alright. After all, she was the princess of Asgard. Everyone would laugh this whole thing off and then throw a party.)

"Where am I?" she exclaimed, brushing her hair out of her face. It was a lot prettier than it was when she was a child. "Where am I - will someone bloody answer me?"

"Welcome back, Princess. Welcome to blakkr."

***

LOKI SAT THERE, HIS HANDS FOLDED IN HIS LAP, AND HIS EYES WET WITH ANGRY AND FURY AND SADNESS. 

The healers did what they could, but that wasn't much. In the hour that they had moved her body from the throne room to here, the healers' territory, she had only gotten worse. 

Eva's body was turning gray - gray. He had never seen a body turn grey before, but Loki knew what it meant. He expected blue, maybe, but Eva had always hated the Jotun form and she didn't deserve to die like that. 

First his wife. Now his daughter. 

"She would hate the man you've become."

Loki may have been powerful, but it came at a cost. He only knew death and hatred.