Chapter 4 - Katherine

I woke up feeling slightly different from all the other days. I felt more dark and gloomy. Summer was almost over and I'm leaving Miami for California my senior year. Emma and I had it all planned out. But this changes everything and I hate to disappoint her. I still haven't told anyone. I'm leaving tomorrow so I have to make the best of today.

I got out of bed and texted Emma to meet me on the beach. I went to the bathroom and started getting ready. After I was done I ran down the stairs and this time I didn't see my mom in the kitchen with her usual cups of coffee. Curiosity took over and I went up to her room.

I saw her still asleep so I didn't bother to wake her. This is the first time in forever I've seen her sleep in. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about her anymore. I'm glad that we don't have to do that stupid morning routine. But I'm not happy that we're moving.

I quickly raced down the stairs as quietly as I could and went out. It was really nice out so I decided to walk. It would be nice to look at Miami and take in all the good things about it. I've never payed close attention to my surroundings and I found this the right time too.

"Katherine!" I heard someone call and I turned to see Tommy running up to me.

"Hey," I smiled at him which he returned.

"You're moving?" He asked and I nodded.

"Sadly," I sighed fixing the sleeves on my sweater.

"Well, I'm really going to miss you," he told me and I gave him a tight hug.

"I'm really going to miss you too. You're dumb ass remarks and your fuck boy qualities," I told him and he laughed as we pulled away.

"Do you want to hang out today?" He asked and I thought about it.

"I was just about to meet Emma on the beach if you want to come?" I suggested and he nodded. We walked side by side talking about all the trouble and fun we had back in middle school. I missed those days where we didn't have to worry about anything except to have fun. But High school makes it really hard to balance having fun and school work.

We arrived at the beach and saw Emma sitting on the sand not too far from the water. "Do you plan on getting wet today or what?" I asked when I approached her and she smiled standing up.

"Did you hear?" Tommy asked and she gave him a confused look.

"What?" She asked.

"I'm moving and I really want to spend the rest of my day with you guys. I want to remember this summer before I move," I told her and her eyes started tearing up.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked her voice cracking and my eyes saddened.

"I just did. I found out yesterday and it took some time to process," I told her and she engulfed me into a hug. I was trying not to cry, I didn't want them to be sad that I was leaving.

"Emma, it's ok," I laughed and she chuckled pulling away. I watched her wipe away her tears and I started to feel tears coming but I held them back.

"Where are you moving to?" She asked.

"Los Angeles," I told her and she sighed. "That's really far away," she said and I nodded.

"But let's not think about that now," I smiled and she laughed.

"Let's go to Carter's," Tommy suggested and we agreed starting to walk. We reached his house and saw him on the roof of his house. I never understood how he got up there. There's no vines or any support to help him. He saw us and smiled before starting to climb down.

We went up to his front door and we walked in. I heard loud footsteps coming down the stairs and Carter's mom rushed over to me. "Katherine," she said pulling me I to a hug and I laughed before hugging her back.

"Vivian, it's good to see your too," I said as she pulled away.

"Are you really moving?" She asked and I nodded.

"It's going to be really hard but I think I'll manage. I'll be sure to keep touch with everyone," I told her and she nodded.

"Except me cause I don't have a phone," Emma muttered angrily and I laughed rubbing her back.

"Katherine!" Carter shouted running into the room like a child. "I missed you," he said wrapping his arms around me so I wasn't able to hug him back.

"We saw each other yesterday," I laughed pushing him off of me.

"I was practicing for the real thing. When we reunite," he told me with a goofy grin and I laughed before kissing him.

"Get a room," Tommy groaned.

"We're going to miss you Katherine," Vivian told me and I nodded. For a second I had forgot I was moving. I was genuinely having a good time with the people I cared about.

"Yeah, but I don't want to think about that," I said looking down at the floor. I didn't want to be worried about my last day here. I wanted to live life and be reckless.

"I'll see you again at the airport tomorrow," she told me hugging me one last time and pulling away giving me a loving smile before walking away.

"Let's do some crazy shit," Tommy suggested and we gave him a confused looks.

"Knowing you, we might go to jail so we'll keep things on the DL," Emma laughed and we agreed. Tommy was always the one to get us into serious trouble. It was a good and satisfying feeling to be reckless like that. But I don't feel like getting caught today.

"Then what are we going to do today?" He asked and I shrugged.