"Elijah, there you are," She greets, pulling him into a motherly hug, "You're late."

"I know, I'm sorry." He kisses her cheek before pulling away. Turning to face the woman beside him, he's met with Aliyah's widened stare on his mother, "Ma, this is Aliyah."

Her breath is caught in her throat. She has to push herself to speak ━ but it comes out as a stutter, "Y-you're Senator Charlotte W-West. Your son is Elijah West ━ oh, that makes sense."

Charlotte spares her an amused glance before she turns to her son, "You haven't told your girlfriend who your mother is?"

"Well, it didn't really come up," Elijah mumbles as he rests a hand on the small of Aliyah's back.

She is about to have a heart attack. Too much is happening. Her chest heaves as she tries to catch her breath ━ oh lord.

Finally, she extends her hand and gathers the courage to speak, "It's so nice to finally meet you, Senator West."

"You as well," Charlotte smirks, shaking Aliyah's hand, "So, how long have you and my son been together?"

At the sight of Charlotte West, Aliyah almost forgot why she was even there in the first place.

"A mon ━"

Charlotte cuts her son off before he could finish the word, "I'm talking to your girlfriend, Elijah."

"Of course you are," He whispers, bringing the flute up to his lips.

Aliyah catches on to what Elijah had started, "Uh, we've been together for a month, Senator West."

"Oh, please," The matriarch scoffs lightly, "Call me Charlotte."

"Where's dad?" Elijah questions, trying to shift the topic.

"Right behind you," Another unfamiliar voices fills Aliyah's ears as she turns to be met with a brown-skinned man, a handsome smile on his face, matching Elijah's.

They all pretty, aren't they?

"Hello, son," The man greets Elijah, giving him a pat on the back.

Elijah holds back the cringe as his father steps past him and Aliyah to stand by Charlotte's side.

"Lee, this is my dad, Dr. Ezra West," Elijah runs his fingers down the small of Aliyah's back, sending a shiver down her spine but also calming her down, immensely, "Dad, this is Aliyah Pryce, my girlfriend."

Ezra West is a world famous neurosurgeon. He invented the West Method which went on to win tens of awards ━ and also, in Elijah's opinion, ruined his marriage. Charlotte and Ezra were too busy with their own lives and raising Elijah and Naomi that they barely had enough of themselves left for each other.