40 | the replacements

" You can't force people to respect you, but you can refuse to tolerate their disrespect

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

" You can't force people to respect you, but you can refuse to tolerate their disrespect."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

On her birthday, she woke up to a note by her bedside from the Burnett's. It simply said Happy Birthday our Hazel! We love you so much, like you were our own daughter and your birthday, especially your 20th is such a big occasion, come downstairs when you are ready, we have a few gifts for you!! Hazel smiled as she stood up and slowly headed downstairs. The air smelled like waffles and there had to be ham roasting somewhere. And she heard laughter in the kitchen. When Hazel walked in, a smile spread on her face when she saw Lizzie sitting at the table, sipping a mug of coffee, eyes relaxed, smile wide.

" Hazel!" Lizzie called noticing the girl, and racing over to her to pull her into a warm hug.

" Happy Birthday!" Hazel hugged Lizzie close after only seeing her a few times at the pubs. Lizzie gave the warmest hugs.

" Thank you, Lizzie." Hazel said as Lizzie pulled back with a wide smile on her face.

" Come along now dear, we have breakfast all ready." Grace said as she pulled the chair open. Hazel walked over with a smile and slowly sat down in between her and Lizzie and across from Harry who was working his way through his 2nd cup of tea usually.

" This means so much, guys, really." Hazel said as she looked at the food and the Burnett's and Lizzie there. Lizzie smiled.

" We have a few little gifts for you," Harry said leaning down beside his chair and pulling out 4 packages.

" Oh! Thank you!" Hazel said, taking the gifts, " You guys didn't have to do this." Her eyes were watery.

" Of course we did." Grace said as Lizzie grinned.

" You're turning 20, Hazel, that's pretty important." Lizzie said and Hazel smiled at her, " Open them!" Hazel looked down at the packages and slowly opened the first one. It was the tiny package of chocolates from the Barnes that the Burnetts always had. Hazel's eyes went wide.

" Thank you!! You know these are my favorite." Hazel said and the Burnetts smiled at her warmly. The 2nd package was a painting of a sunflower field. Hazel's eyes went soft.

" Grace this is beautiful." Hazel said looking at her.

" I know you just adore sunflowers, love and of course the open fields around the home, I figured it was perfect." Grace said and Hazel grinned.the third package was Pride and Prejudice, a book she had been wanting to read for a while now but never got the time to, she'd talk about it for ages now. The fourth package was the cutest scarf, that paratroopers usually wore around their neck for dust and heat. It was yellow with white flowers like the dress.