71 | merry friggin christmas

" There are some people who could hear you speak a thousand words and still not understand you

" There are some people who could hear you speak a thousand words and still not understand you. And there are others who will understand without you even speaking a word."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

The next morning was just like any other, waking up, Shifty by Hazel's side, the two chatting and heading to the breakfast line, and then heading back to their foxhole, chatting and cleaning their weapons. Hazel and Shifty were sitting side by side, their hands freezing as they attempted their best at cleaning their weapons when Lip came towards them. The two looked up as Lip slowly sat down on the other side of the foxhole.

" What's up, Lip?" Hazel said, as she turned back to her weapon and scrapped at it before handing the pad to Shifty to scrap with.

" OP caught movement from the German side, they're thinking that since the fog has lifted they're gonna be on the move soon," Lip said, " I wanted to make sure you two knew. In case the firing starts, Hazel, you'll move back into a position for sniping." Hazel nodded smiling at him.

" I'm surprised Dike didn't search me out to say that," Hazel said and Lip and Shifty smirked.

" Can't find Dike anywhere, been missing all morning. I figured I'd tell ya in case." Lip said and Hazel smiled.

" Thanks, Lip." she said softly and Lip nodded.

" I'll see you two around, when this starts you know what to do. Stay safe." he said and then got up and got moving, walking around the foxhole and towards the others. Hazel and Shifty turned and watched Lip leave them. 

He was more of a CO than Dike will ever be. 

Hazel glanced at Shifty and he sighed before looking at her. The two sharpshooters looked back towards their weapons.

" Poor Lip," Hazel said sadly.

" I know," Shifty said.

" Why can't Dike just be where he has to?" Hazel said with a slight scoff. Shifty laughed.

" What?" Hazel asked looking at him with a slight smirk on her face.

" I've never heard you scoff before." Shifty said and then laughed.

" In all the time you've known me, you've never heard me scoff?" Hazel asked with a laugh. Shifty nodded with a laugh. Hazel just shook her head with a smile on her face. Catherine sat crouched by a few foxholes, her eyes never leaving the tree line as she watched tanks slowly but surely rolling in towards the American line. Her eyes were narrowed at the rumbling of the German tanks that slowly pushed out into the open towards them.

" Hold your fire, boys." Catherine heard Lip say as he ran past them, running hunched over as he moved through the levels of the foxholes in attempt to calm them with the onslaught that was about to ensue. Catherine glanced towards where Hazel was set up.