63 | shellings

" True friends are burning stars, they shine brightest on those darkest nights

" True friends are burning stars, they shine brightest on those darkest nights."

- Atticus

✰✰✰

Lizzie couldn't even describe what the feeling was, watching these explosions go off in front of her. It was like huge shells dropping on them and exploding just above the tree tops, to send shrapnel and wood down on top of them.

" Lizzie!" a voice suddenly yelled and Lizzie froze, her head snapping to the sound. The cry was guttural and raw.

" Doc!" the voice yelled again as Lizzie turned, searching for the source of the yelling again.

" Medic!" there it was, the call she was listening for. Lizzie pushed up from the ground, running through the exploding shards, straining for the sound again. An explosion nearly went off on her, as she sprinted faster forward, a hand pressed to her helmet as she gave one final push off her leg and jumped into the foxhole where the yelling was coming from. Lizzie fell in a heap into the foxhole, her back cramming up in the corner, as she struggled to sit up and push her helmet from her eyes.

" Doc please!" the replacement in front of her cried, as blood seeped from evident wounds in his arm. The other replacement in the foxhole was quivering, his hands bloodied with his friend's blood.

" Hey, hey, look at me. It's ok." Lizzie said quickly, reaching forward as the explosions continued off around them. The replacement let out a sob again, as his replacement buddy came up to his side.

" Hey, you heard her, it's ok. You're ok." he said and Lizzie felt a small smile on her face as she reached into her bag for a bandage.

" You didn't puncture any main artery, but I'm gonna wrap you up, so then a jeep can be called." Lizzie said. He nodded, wiping the tears from his cheeks with his good arm. Lizzie gently cut open the fabric of the cloth where the wound was with her scissors which sat in her front pocket, before assessing the internal wound, where there was no main artery.

" I have to pull out the shrapnel, ok, honey?" Lizzie said softly and the replacement nodded, sniffling. Lizzie gently grabbed the piece of shrapnel and pulled it out, as the replacement gritted his teeth. She pulled out the other two before flinging them to the side and to the ground. She reached into her bag and pulled out the sulfa packet that sat near the top of the messy bag. She ripped open the bag with her teeth and began pouring it on to clot the wound the best she could. She then threw the packet down before pulling out a bandage and wrapping it up the best she could, quickly tying it off.

" I need you to get to the CP, call for a jeep, ok?" Lizzie said as the friend of the injured replacement nodded. Lizzie looked up and out of the foxhole, the explosions were dying off, until there seemed to be none left. The replacement jumped out of the hole as Lizzie turned to the replacement.