Now sitting beside Jude, who seems to stiffened suddenly at her closed presence, Mari's fingertips trail across the cover of her battered book.

"I figured you already read all these books you have stacked in your room so I think this one would be much more exciting,"  Mari grinned, her eyes shifting from her book to Jude's cloudy eyes.

"The title's Love Manor, in case you're wondering," she added, and pulled the kerosene lamp closer to them since despite how it's still daylight outside, the room was dark every second of the day.

Mari only inches away from him saw his brows meet once more, pressed his calloused lips together, his jaw clenched. For some reason, Mari can't seem to take her eyes off those angry-looking scars of his.

She knew he couldn't see her, but gaping at him is still rude, and so, Mari coerced herself to shift her eyes elsewhere.

Eager to not stir the moment awkwardly for she knows he knows she's looking at him. Even her late father himself told her not to often do that to people but she just can't help it.

Chuckling, she threw her head back, "I know what you're thinking, Master. Love Manor? Really? That's what I thought first but don't you worry, Master, it's filled with an exciting adventure in, of course, a manor, a poor antagonist whom I can't seem to hate and of course, you guessed it, love. I mean, the male protagonist is this handsome fella who-"

Blushing, Mari coughed.

"I am sorry for the excitement, Master but you'll feel the same way too after we finish this. Oh, I can't wait to talk to you about the male protagonist, we could swoon over him at the same time," added Mari. After a second, her blush deepened, her eyes broad at the realization of what just fell off her mouth.

"I me-mean, of course, you'll swoon over the female protagonist, not over her love interest," she uttered, wincing at herself yet Jude doesn't seem to mind. It was as if he was...enjoying it?

'Oh heavens? Already? I still haven't even started on the first chapter," she thought, grinning.

Clearing her throat, she flipped the book on the first chapter and began reading with her soft and steady voice.

Now and then, he'll raise his brow and pursed his lips, and even squint his eyes as she reads. Mari was sitting just a few inches away from him, tucking her hair occasionally, lifting her head to see his reaction.

Frankly speaking, Mari's voice was a bit okay though she is a tad conscious of it. At the back of her mind, she worries if she sounds like a toad or whatever creature you could think of.

Jude meanwhile wanted to chuckle at her choice of book, not that he scoffs at romance novels, after all, a book is still a book.

He just hadn't expected her to read one to him. Things began to turn humorous when she suggested they'll swoon over the same guy.

However, he was astonished by her voice when she began reading. She has the voice of a scholar and something, something that would lull you.

If he's back in London and hears this voice of hers, he would surely stop drinking whiskey seven in the morning and just listen to every word she says.

Captivated, Jude found himself listening and even enjoying the book.

And so, he closed his eyes, relaxing, mesmerized by her dreamy voice that's so near him. He could smell her and feel her presence up close, for some reason, it frightens and excites him.

He was startled and the truth is told, a tad blue when his ears picked up the sound of her closing the book, signaling the end of reading time.

Still, he dared not to open his eyes. His eyes closed or open, no difference. He couldn't still see anything.

He was doing well in ignoring her, he guess? He just can't start conversing with her knowing he'll be more captivated with her considering she still needs to go.

He doesn't want anyone taking care of him. That's the truth.

However, Jude almost jump in his seat in surprise when he felt such soft fingers touch his greasy hair before he could realize it, her slender fingers ran through his long dark hair. Still, Jude dared not open his eyes in fear she'll discover he is not asleep.

Thinking he was already deep in his slumber, Mari rose from her seat, "Sleep well, Master Jude," Mari uttered with such softness and concern in her voice. It was as if she truly cared if he did sleep well or not.

Mari once again ran her fingers across his scalp once more and left the room.

It was a second later did Jude realize he was sweaty and his heart beating fast.

As he swiftly walks to his bed, having memorized every inch of the room already, Jude slumped into the bed, his mind filled with thoughts of the girl next room.

Hell, even the way she said his name. He had never heard anyone say it like that, with such kindness and innocence.

Damnit. Why would his brother send such a girl like her?