f i f t y - s i x

Emily was asleep with her head in Chris's lap as he ran his fingers through her hair. The small sofa in the hospital room was uncomfortable but at this point she was so exhausted she would've been able to sleep on a bed of nails. Chris frowned and looked over to Sebastian. He was sat in the seat next to the bed with his fingers laced with Shawnee's. Her arm was hooked up to a morphine drip that kept her as comfortable as possible. Beeps of multiple machines filled the air of the sterile room, making Chris feel uneasy.

"She'll be okay, Seb." He spoke in a tired, husky voice.

Sebastian turned his head to look at Chris and smiled groggily "I know that, I guess. But I just got her... I don't want to lose her."

"You're not going to lose me..." a faint voice said, tightening her grip on Sebastian's hand ever so slightly. He turned his head to look at her with a large grin at his lips.

"Hey, Shawn." He smiled, lifting her hand to his mouth and placing a kiss on her knuckles. "How are you feeling?"

"To be honest? Pretty okay seeing as I just got shot in the side. Is Emmy here?"

"She's asleep." Chris answered with a smile, still running his fingers through her hair as she hugged his thighs. "She's absolutely exhausted, Shaw..."

"Then what the fuck is she still doing here?" She asked, furring her eyebrows before wincing in pain as she moved too quickly "take her home, Chris."

He let out a soft chuckle and looked down at his fiancée "we tried to take her home as soon as you got out of surgery. But she's stubborn as always."

"Bitch." She rolled her eyes, making the boys laugh. "Do you guys know what happened to Kole... The last thing I remember was him standing over me..." a tear rolled down her cheek as she tried to remember.

"He's dead, Shawnee." Sebastian said, lifting a weight off of Her shoulders.

"Oh god..." she breathed out, closing her eyes right. "Does Emily know? What did she say? Is she okay?"

"She's fine." Chris nodded, smiling wide. "She said she's relieved, actually,"

Shawnee was about to answer when they heard a mumble coming from the sleeping woman. She shifted and gripped Chris's thigh, making him grunt at the feel of her nails digging into him through his sweat pants. She continued to mumble as the others looked at her, wondering wether to wake her up or not. "Shawnee... move..." she grumbled as Chris lightly scratched the nape of her neck to comfort her

"Is she okay?" Sebastian asked "is she having nightmares again?"

"Yeah..." Chris frowned, tracing his long finger along Emily's jawline in an attempt I sooth her. "She still has them every other night or so. I thought being with me had stopped them for a while... but they came back."

"Well, are you going to wake her up?" Shawnee questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"No." He said shortly "it doesn't work. As soon as she falls back asleep, it starts all over again. I found that leaving her to dream usually makes it pass quicker than waking her." He hated seeing her like this. No matter how hard he tried to comfort her, love her, or assure her she was safe, they always came back. Even now that he gone for real this time, she had had 3 nightmares in the past 4 hours of sleeping. They usually weren't bad, they just shook her up a little, but sometimes they were unbearable. She would wake up sobbing and hyperventilating, then she would freak out if Chris tried to hold her. It broke his heart to see her like this and it was even worse to know there was nothing he could do to help her.

Eventually, her breathing steadied and she relaxed, her hand going back to its normal resting position on Chris's thigh. A small smile formed at her lips again and Chris sighed, closing his eyes and letting his head fall back. To say he was tired would be an understatement. At the minute, the babies were with Liam. They were only a week or so old, so he said they shouldn't be too hard to look after. (He was wrong, it's was the most difficult thing Chris had ever had to do.) since they were born, he had barley slept 3 hours, neither of them had. At least one of them were up with either Violet, Kayden or both; feeding them, or rocking them as they cried and screamed. Chris wasn't afraid to say that he'd broken down a few times, his anxiety taking over him. 'What if im doing this wrong?' 'Am I a terrible father?'

Even though it had only just been a week, sometimes Emily didn't know if she could pull him out of his dark space.

Almost instantly, Chris drifted off into a blissful sleep, his fingers automatically working through Emily's golden brown waves. His mouth fell open and his closed eyes flicked back and forth as if he was already lost in a dream. "Sebby..." Shawnee frowned, tears forming in her sore eyes "I don't like this..."

"I know, honey." He smiled softly "You'll be out of here in-"

"No- not this." She corrected, a droplet of water running down each cheek as she pointed to her closest friends. "That." She let out a breathy whimper and closed her eyes as Sebastian looked at her, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Make then leave, Seb... make them go home... tell them to sleep... tell them to eat, I don't care- just tell them to look after themselves." He could see the guilt in her eyes, even though she had no reason to blame herself. "I don't... want them here."

He clenched his jaw as he understood and nodded. "Just promise me one thing, baby." He said, bringing her knuckles back up to his lips and kissing them softly "don't blame yourself, okay? None of this is your fault."

Her quivering bottom lip moved between her pearly white teeth as she mustered the strength to nod her head. She wanted to do as he asked, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. How wasn't this her fault? How didn't her previous actions have effect of her best friends suffering? She didn't see that he was abusive. She didn't notice. all of the signs were there. The bruises that appeared every other day after she 'fell down the stairs' or the broken bones that she never had a straight answer as to how it happened.

"Shawnee, promise me." He repeated, more firmly this time "I want to hear you say the words."

"I-I... can't... I'm sorry..."

Sebastian leaned over her and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before doing the same on her lips. They had only been dating a few months, but he could tell she was something special. "You will be able to, eventually. You've been through a lot with her... I can promise you, she doesn't blame you for any of it." He sighed "I love you, Shawnee. I don't want to see you like this."

He loved her.

She drew in a painful breath and nodded, all while chewing on her bottom lip. "I love you too, Seb.. now please just get them to go home... you aswell.. I don't want you getting sick."

He grinned and shook his head. "You're adorable."

"No, I'm amazing. Not adorable. There's a difference."

_________________________________________

A/N:

I really hope you guys didn't hate this chapter. It's 2:03 am and I can't sleep lmao.

I actually like how it turned out... but let me know what you think!