Chapter Fifty Six

The OWL exams came around sooner than I would have liked

The OWL exams came around sooner than I would have liked. Every day after lessons finished, Emmy, Maddie and I would spend what felt like the entire night revising. This went on every day, every single day, from the end of the second task to the day before the third task. The third task was, thankfully, the day after our last exam which gave us something to look forward to. It certainly kept me going through all my exams. They were tough but I was glad Maddie had pressured both me and Emmy into revising as hard as we did as I could remember something to put down for every question. I was confident in all my exams except our last one: potions.

"Why are you studying so hard?" George asked as the twins sauntered into the library to see Emmy, Maddie and I frantically flicking through notes.

"Why are you studying at all?" Fred rephrased and George high fived him.

"Exams," I said, biting my nails and not looking up from my very tattered copy of Magical Drafts and Potions.

"Exams are cancelled," George said casually hopping up to sit on the edge of the table next to me and resting his feet on an empty seat, "Cause of the tournament."

"Not all of them," I grumbled, trying to turn the page in my book but finding it had been stuck together by a spillage of an unidentifiable potion, "We've still got to do our OWLs."

"Ha! Sucks to be you," Fred burst out before ducking down to avoid Madam Pince's murderous gaze.

"Thanks very much," I chided, "You're so compassionate."

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, dear Casswell," Fred sneered and smirked.

"How clever of you to notice," I grumbled, returning my attention to tearing apart my page and accidentally ripped it.

"Wow, you really are in a bad mood," Fred said, leaning on the table on the other side of me to where George was sat.

"Cause I got my potions exam in less than an hour!" I sat, throwing my hands up in frustration and turning to look at him, not realising how close that would put our faces.

"Ah, makes sense." He nodded. We seemed to both notice the other's smirking glances at us at the same time and both immediately stopped talking and shifted away from the other.

Thankfully, at that precise moment, Maddie decided to tell us that there was only 31 minutes and 22 seconds before the exam started and we had to be waiting outside the great hall half an hour before the exam. We packed up our stuff and left it all in a corner of the library as we weren't allowed to take anything inside the exam hall, and left the library to go and wait in doomed silence for our potions exam to start.

*

Thankfully, after an hour long exam of pure hell, we were able to go down and watch the third task to lift our spirits. Emmy, Maddie and I went down together and were joined by Lee and the twins. Emmy filed off with Lee as soon as we got down to the quidditch pitch, which had momentarily been transformed into an enormous hedge maze. Emmy and Lee sat down together and George quickly sat down next to Lee leaving Fred to sit next to me. Maddie sat down on the other side of me and seemed oblivious as to who I was coerced into sitting next to on the other side of me. She did her best to avoid my eye which immediately told me the others had arranged the entire thing. I sighed and smiled awkwardly at Fred, who smiled back in much the same way.