Chapter Fifty Four

The day of the second task rolled around and Maddie, Emmy and I arranged to go down and watch it together

The day of the second task rolled around and Maddie, Emmy and I arranged to go down and watch it together. To no one's surprise, Emmy invited Lee to watch it with her, and the twins tagged along with Lee.

"Where are we even going?" Emmy asked. We'd already walked down from the castle and to the Black Lake where a row of boats were all ready and waiting.

"To watch the task," Lee shrugged and Emmy shook her head at him with an exasperated look.

"It's out on the lake, apparently," Maddie said as we got into a boat, "They've set up stands, like viewing platforms. Over there, look!" She said, pointing to the horizon where a wooden platform was poking out of the water.

"What are they even doing?" Emmy mused as we all sat down in the boat that began magically rowing itself over to the viewing platform, "Synchronised swimming?"

*

We quickly found a place to sit and watch that gave us a good view of the champions as they all lined up on the edge of the platform by the water. Cedric was crowded by a few friends and the majority of the Hufflepuff quidditch team, who were jostling him and cheering him on before the task began. Kevin was by far the most enthusiastic. He had one arm around Cedric and was turning him this way and that and waving into the crowd while Cedric looked as if he'd rather be anywhere else as he tried to shrug off Kevin and cast a bubblehead charm on himself. I rolled my eyes and decided to look at someone else, anyone else, so long as it wasn't Kevin. I decided to watch what the other champions were doing in preparation for the task.

"Holy shit!" I couldn't help but exclaim as Krum transformed his head into a shark right before my eyes.

"Language, Caswell," George gasped, looking offended. I rolled my eyes.

"I swear I'll reach in and splash you!"

"Sure."

While we were bickering, the starting cannon was fired and the champions all jumped into the lake. All except Harry, who looked as if he were choking.

"Jesus, is he okay?" Maddie said, leaning as far forward as she could without falling in the lake to get a better look at him as he flailed and fell into the water.

"Oh my god..."I whispered as the ripples and splashes in the water stilled and Harry disappeared from view, "They wouldn't let him drown, right?" I asked worriedly, looking up at Fred and George then to Lee and Emmy and finally to Maddie, whom I probably should have asked first.

"They did warn us before the tournament started..." she said, although she was looking like she didn't want to, "People have died before- Oh my god!"

The tone on the viewing platform drastically changed as everyone's tense held breaths were released into cheers as Harry literally jumped out the water into a backflip and splashed back down again.