Chapter Thirty-One- Girlfriends

When I headed down for breakfast the next day, I ultimately felt incredibly elated. My feelings for Imogen were only blooming like the daffodils outside my house, and nothing was going to ever take that away from me. 

I got ready for the day into a baby blue shirt and denim shorts, and then headed downstairs and into the kitchen with a slight skip in my step. 

"You look very merry this morning," Kate commented. 

"I feel it," I said, as I grabbed a bowl and began to pour some chocolate clusters into it, adding some almond milk afterwards. 

"Yeah?" Victoria asked me, as she kissed my cheek, "It's good to see it, Annie," she added. 

"Imogen's a wonderful girl," I said, "She came out yesterday," I informed them. 

My mothers' eyes widened a little, then. 

"Don't worry. It went well!" I assured them. 

"That's amazing, Annie!" Kate said kindly. 

I just grinned towards her. 

"Thanks, moms," I replied. 

As I ate my cereal, I took a moment to just reflect upon how much my relationship with Imogen had grown since those early days. 

I would forever be thankful for that. 

Once I was done, and had placed my bowl in the dishwasher, I turned my attentions to Victoria. 

"Thank you, mom," I said. 

"Me?" she asked. 

"You were right. You said everything was going to turn out okay, and it did. Thank you for being there for me," I said. 

"You're my favourite daughter, Annie. Okay, my only daughter, but still...I love you," she said. 

"I love you, mom," I replied with a contented smile. 

Victoria took a step closer to me to ruffle a hand through my hair, for a moment, before turning back to Kate. 

"How's your writing going, sweetheart?" she asked her. 

The corner of Kate's mouth turned up a little. I had a good feeling that she had probably received another book offer. 

"I received another book offer," she said. 

Called it. 

"That's amazing!" Victoria said with excitement, "Do you want me to help you with it? I could draw the illustrations," she offered. 

My mother was incredibly talented. I had got a lot of my inspiration from her. 

"That would be incredible," Kate told her with a genuine smile. 

Kate motioned closer to Victoria to quickly kiss her, and the two of them wandered a short distance away from me to have a conversation about their next book. 

My feelings of happiness began to damper a little as I realised the date. The 8th July. It would have been my grandfather's birthday.  

We had spent every one of his birthdays together, so it was hard to realise that wouldn't be happening this year, or again, at least physically. 

I could only choose to believe that he was with me in spirit. 

One of the marigold flowers on the window sill was drooping, and I realised that I had been so busy that I had forgotten to water the plants. It was sort of my job, given that my mothers were so busy with work.