Chapter Twelve- Annie's Birthday

I was so glad that the next day was a Saturday, but more exciting still, it was my birthday. I would finally be turning eighteen, which yeah, I still couldn't legally drink outside of my own home, but I was practically an adult now, which meant that I was supposed to be figuring out who I was in the world or something. 

Life could be hard at times, honestly. 

I forced myself out of my incredibly comfortable bed and got changed out of my pajamas. I soon wandered into the bathroom to finish off the process of getting ready- brushing my teeth and working my hair into a loose bun, before heading back downstairs to greet my moms. I gave Kate a quick kiss on the cheek before going to ask Victoria how she was doing. In answer, she just needed coffee- a lot of it. 

My mothers were both incredibly busy women. I sometimes believed that they could probably do with taking more of a break from their work, but still, they seemed insistent upon trying to do the best that they could, and I could only respect that. 

I sat myself down at the dining hall table, and Kate soon brought some pancakes to me. 

"Happy birthday, sweetheart," she said to me. 

"Thank you," I said to her with a grin. 

These weren't just regular pancakes, oh no. These were brilliant blueberry baked pancakes, with a drizzle of golden syrup for good measure. They were also very fluffy, which made them taste even better. If Kate wasn't a writer, then she should become a chef. I fully believed that, anyway. 

The breakfast filled me up and warmed me, and I felt excited for the day ahead. 

Victoria wrapped up working on some emails, and wandered over to give Kate a gentle kiss on her lips, before turning to me. 

"Happy eighteenth birthday, Annie. We are so, so proud of you, but also you need to slow down on your growing up because you're making me feel old now," Victoria joked, causing me to release a light chuckle. 

She may have felt it, but she certainly didn't look it. Victoria had always been incredibly beautiful, as had Kate. However, they were beautiful on the inside, too, as well as the outside. 

I was incredibly lucky to have them. 

"How was it eighteen years ago that we found out I was pregnant with you?" Victoria added with amazement. 

"I know, Tori, it's crazy," Kate said, giving me a good-humored smile. Kate appeared as though there was more that she wanted to say, but her mobile phone began to buzz with an incoming call, and so she let us know that she would be back soon, heading away from the room. 

This provided me with time to talk to my other mom, Victoria, who gave me a few of my presents. 

"Kate wanted to see you opening most of them but...this one will be okay," she told me, and I opened up the small box that I had to find a necklace with my gemstone, a pearl, embellished into it. It was simply beautiful. 

I quickly walked over to Victoria to hug her. 

"Thank you so much, mom," I said to her. 

She grinned. 

"Of course...I'm just glad I had a daughter with a love for jewellery as much as my own," she stated. 

"This is stunning," I said, putting it on. Well, at least, attempting to. Kate came back into the room and helped me with it. 

There was soon a knock at the door, and so Victoria and I went along to answer it. 

"Hi Mrs Greene-Lace," Gina greeted her, then, with a pleasant smile. "House all prepped for the party later?" she asked.