Chapter Sixteen- A Pleasant Surprise

The following morning was a Monday, but I could avoid my urge to groan with the notion that it was a school holiday. That was a good thing. I really didn't exactly feel like going to school at present. My throat was sort of hurting from being out in the rain the previous day, and I really truthfully didn't feel like I wanted to be around Gina any time soon. It was weird. She was my best friend. I think that was just the point, though. She 'was' my best friend. I wasn't sure what to call her anymore, given the fact that she had kissed my ex-boyfriend and consequently caused all this tension between the two of us. Okay, so perhaps I hadn't exactly helped the situation given the fact that I had turned her away and got myself completely wrecked with tequila after watching her and Lake kiss. Regardless, I didn't want to talk to her right now, and that was that. 

On a plus side, it was a bright and sunny day, which meant that I could spend plenty of time swimming around in the garden pool if I wanted to. I just felt kind of exhausted, though. 

I had to remember the conversation that I had with Victoria the previous day. Perhaps it would be a good idea to visit my student counselor. After all, I only had a few months left of school before I was expected to leave. For good. So, it would make sense to go and make that visit I kept putting off making. 

For the most part, I just didn't want Victoria or Kate to be unnecessarily worried about me. I knew that I could be just fine if I put my mind to it. 

I may be hurting right now, but every rainstorm was followed by a rainbow, or something like that. I just needed to try to keep flying through the grey clouds. It was just unfortunate that lately they felt abundant,  but hey, what was life without a little challenge, right? 

Victoria soon joined me in the kitchen, as I stood there preparing myself a mug of hot chocolate. It was highly preferable to coffee and tea, and I would do anything to argue my case. 

"Good morning, pumpkin," she said. 

"Morning mom," I said to her, with a smile. 

She seemed to look a little more positive at my slightly more optimistic expression. And I had to admit, as bad as I felt, it was definitely an improvement on the previous day. I owed that to Jay, Margo, and my mothers, though. 

As Victoria picked up her mug for her morning latte, I noticed that she had repainted her nails again. This time around they were an electric blue colour. It was fairly bright, but suited her well. 

My own nails had sadly been plain for the past few months. I think I stopped painting them as soon as I noticed my relationship with Lake was headed down the drain. Honestly, I needed to forget that boy. It was just sort of difficult to forget someone that wasn't just your boyfriend, though. We had also become such close friends, it hurt me. 

Regardless of these thoughts, I turned my attention to the fact that my other mother had entered the room. 

"Good morning," Kate greeted the both of us, and Victoria turned to her to give her a gentle kiss. 

I wished I had what my parents had sometimes, really. 

Obviously, with a guy, but still...it would be nice to be that in love with someone. 

I think it was the sort of relationship we all craved. 

"What's the plan for today, then, Annie?" Victoria asked me, with a warm smile upon her face. 

In truth, I hadn't exactly thought that far ahead. 

I hadn't thought past breakfast, actually. 

"I don't know," I said. 

Well, at least Netflix was always an option. 

"You'll figure something out," Kate assured me.