CHAPTER VI

Carter felt tense as he sat on his bed. Alexis and Serenity had left him to himself as he needed the time alone to think things through.

They had dinner a few minutes ago and he went straight back to his room after. His family's gaze trailed after him as he went up to his room. Some in confusion and some in worry. "Well, I'm gonna be in my room. Got papers to grade." All heads turned to David as he got up and Jameson followed him. "I too have some papers to read."

"I have a report that's due two days from." Kelsey said as she stood up. "Alexis and I have some clothes to finish up in my room." Serenity chirped as she and Alexis stood up. "I'm gonna do some reading in my room, Julian?" Avery asked as he stood up. "I think I'll David company and bother him from time to time." Everyone smiled and chuckled at his words.

"What about you Zion?" Natasha asked her son as she picked up the plates to help her sisters in the kitchen. Jayden pecked Nova with a chuckle at the teasing smile on her face, "Same for you too Harper, Maverick? Are you two doing anything?" The two siblings shrugged. "Probably just gonna stay in the living room and read." Nova nodded at them before turning to her sister. "Any plans other than cooping up in your room Zion?" Natasha asked again seeing as her son had not replied.

Zion hummed as he relaxed his shoulders. "I might do my homework in the living room to watch over those two. Keep them out of trouble. " "Hey!" The corner of Natasha's lips curled a bit upwards before it disappeared. Zion noticed this and held back a smile of his own. "Nat, can you help me with the dishes? Or are you busy?" Scarlett asked as she stood at the side of the corner that lead to the kitchen. "I'll help with what I can then I'll get to work."

Zion left to grab his homework in his room, passing by Carter's room. He paused and stared at the door to Carter's room. Wonder and worry crawled its way into his conscience before he shook it off. He approached the door and knocked thrice, "Carter? It's Zion, can I come in?" He heard light shuffling before hearing his cousin/brother respond with a soft come in for him.

Grabbing the knob and slowly turning it, pushing the door open, he peeked his head in first before welcoming himself in the youngest Wildrof's room. "Yes?" Carter asked as he moved from his bed to his study table. Sitting on the chair while his eyes were glued onto the book in his hand. He glanced at Zion when the said boy didn't respond to him. "You can come in Zi."

[Note: Zi is pronounced as Zy, kind of like saying the word Cypher but with a Z instead.]

"I was wondering what you're going to do when the Cullen's come." Carter hummed as his eyes read through every sentence on a paragraph from his book. "Most probably going to continue reading this at the living room." He said as he tapped on the book's spine before casting a glance towards the pile of paper on his table. "I already did all of my homework anyway." Zion hummed nodding.

Something was wrong, he could tell but he didn't know if he should ask Carter. Carter was almost always quiet, which is no surprise to him, but today Carter was more quiet than usual. He even left the table first after dinner when he was usually the last one to leave because he would chat with his brothers or the others.

"Can you help me with mine?" He asked as he held up a book and his homework. Carter looked up from his book before he nodded. "Sure thing." He said with a smile as he placed a bookmark in his book then stood up. "Need help doing it now?" Zion shrugged. "If your free then please. I really need to finish all this and hand them tomorrow." Carter laughed lightly at his cousin's words while Zion secretly smiled at getting Carter to laugh.

The duo walked out of Carter's room and walked straight into the living room to do homework, Zion's homework. Harper was a novel while Maverick was reading comics. They had both situated themselves beside each other leaving Carter and Zion to take the opposite couch.