CHAPTER V

Nicholas Hale was different. Unlike the rest of his sibling who liked to keep to themselves and stay away from people as much as possible he was the opposite. He was outgoing, friendly and really close to many students. While his siblings would evade from people, Nicholas would approach people. He stuck out like a sore thumb. His out going personality contrasts to his siblings. His cheeky personality catches everyone's attention. Which is why, now, Carter is having a difficult time in keeping his snickers to himself when the blonde was muttering things that Carter would never understand. "If your cleaning out the vacuum then doesn't that make you the vacuum cleaner?" Carter's shoulders shook as he shook his head. "Where do you get these thoughts?" Nicholas turned to him with a grin. "Random thoughts." "His mind wanders wherever it wants." Alice informed him.

    The two were headed to the cafeteria with Alice after they had came from their gym class with coach Clapp. They were playing volleyball for the whole hour and one hour was enough for coach Clapp to ask him if he wanted to play for the volleyball team. He kindly declined the kind offer and lied how he has asthma and that it would only stand in the way. To say that coach Clapp was disappointed is an understatement. He was upset that someone with great skills in volleyball couldn't be in the team because of a condition that affects his health. So with a sad look he gave the boy a smile. Alice and Nicholas didn't seem to believe his lie but didn't bother to ask why he lied out of becoming an official volleyball player for the school.

    Entering the cafeteria, Nicholas and Alice walked over to the table with his siblings while Carter went to grab lunch. "Carter?" Carter looked up and saw Bella. "Hello Bella." "Hey." She greeted him. "How you doing?" She asked as she grabbed a bowl of salad. "I've been well. You?" "Fine. Want an apple?" She asled holding up a green apple to him and he smiled as he grabbed it. "Thanks." She nodded at him. "So I heard from Eric that you guys played volleyball." He hummed as he grabbed a juice box. Bella walked beside him. "We did. Got my head hit too." Bella's mouth gaped. "What?" Carter laughed at her. "I'm kidding." She sighed in relief. "But I did accidentally hit someone." "Oh my god Carter." She groaned and he chuckled. He glanced at his cousins who glanced at him and Bella. "Hey Bella, care to join me and my cousins?" The look of shock in Bella's face was worth the laugh but he held himself back, not wanting to embarrass the girl. "Your cousins won't mind?" He glanced at them and they shrugged. "They won't. Come on."

    Approaching the WVS (Wildrof, Vanderson, Smyth) table, people started to stare. Jessica's jaw dropped when she saw Bella head towards the table of Carter and his family. "You're kidding." She whispered as Bella and Carter exchanged smiles.

    Seeing Bella approach Carter, Nicholas had nudged his siblings to follow his gaze. They saw the two interact. Nicholas was happy that Bella was smiling and it made his heart soar. They listened to what the two had said to each other. Nicholas grinned when Carter offered for Bella to sit with them. He was glad she was sitting somewhere else from Jessica. He doesn't particularly like the girl for her personality and the way she sees his family. Just because Edward rejected her doesn't mean she had to be discouraging towards him.

    "Bella! How wonderful of you to join us!" Harper beamed at the girl as she sat between her and Carter. "Thanks for having me." Bella told them and Harper shook her head. "Don't mention it. Plus, I need another female to talk to. These three are a lost cause." Maverick rolled his eyes whole Zion and Carter shook their heads at her. "All you talk about is clothes and shopping Harp." Maverick said only to groan after his sister jabbed his side. "You have no room to complain. All you talk about it your odd obsession of eating food in combinations." Zion huffed and she turned to him. "And don't get me started on you mister. All you ever talk about is Jasper Hale." He gave her a small glare then directed it to Carter when the teen snorted. "What? It's true." Zion rolled his eyes. "I admit I always mention him but do keep in mind I do not mean it in that way." Carter only hummed with Harper nodding. "Sure whatever you say." Maverick slurped his juice before turning to Zion. "I don't get why you can't just tell David to let you work individually. You wouldn't be ranting for hours if only you did so." Zion narrowed his eyes as he stopped midway from eating his salad. "And give him the satisfaction of me surrendering? I'd rather put up with this rather than admit to someone like David that I couldn't handle his tasks."