𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐨

En başından başla

"The hunters?" I questioned disbelievingly. Tests, what sort of tests — why?

Abi waved her hand. "Not now. Can you get something for my leg?"

"Y-yeah, sure. I'll run into town." I hesitated at the door, worried about losing her again. "I'll be right back — scream if anyone tries to take you."

"Okay." She sighed wearily, letting her body fall back onto the floor again.

I sprinted into Medora, hoping they had a pharmacy open — and they did. I almost accidentally stole the bandages that I'd grabbed and only just remembered to pay for them.

"I'm back," I told Abi when I reappeared in the electrical room.

Rushing to her, I let out a breath that I didn't realise I was holding. She's still here. I handed her one of the bandages so she could start wrapping her leg up.

"There weren't any disinfectant wipes," I explained apologetically, "We'll clean it up later, I promise."

"Where are we, exactly?" She finished tying the bandage.

"Medora, North Dakota — about half an hour from the Montanan border," I told her.

"We're that close to home?" She looked up at me, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Yeah." I breathed, my face breaking into a smile, "You have no idea how glad I am to see you."

"I'm equally glad to see you." She smiled back. "Help me stand?"

"Sure." I folded an arm around her torso and gently pulled her to her feet.

As soon as she stood up, she wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me to her tightly.

"I missed you so much, Theo," Abi muttered to me, "We all did."

"I missed all of you too." I swallowed, "I met a naiad, who told me that—" I swallowed again, trying to figure out the words, "That some of us are... are..."

"Yeah." Abi nodded, tears shining in her eyes once again as she pulled away from me, keeping hold of my arm for balance. "Not all of us are alive."

I couldn't help it when I let out a broken-hearted sob — Abi had just confirmed my worst fear. I know that Halia had said the same thing, but from Abi, a banshee, I guess it just sunk in a little more.

"I know." A tear slid down Abi's cheek.

Who? I thought, but I couldn't bring myself to ask it aloud. Thankfully, Abi didn't volunteer the information either — I don't think I was entirely ready yet... Though will I ever be?

"Should we start walking to the border?" I asked her, glancing again at her leg.

"Yeah." She nodded. "I need to get out of this freaking room. I don't even know how long I've been in here..."

With my help, she limped to the door and stepped outside.

"What... what month is it?" Abi eyed me.

"It's March, March 20th," I told her.

"M-March?" She echoed, looking up at me incredulously, "How can it be March? The other day it was... It was Thanksgiving... March?"

"It's March, Abi," I hesitated. "Maybe they were drugging you or something?"

"Maybe," she muttered and leaned on me some more. "Let's go."

And we started walking slowly towards the border. We stayed away from Medora, not needing to attract any attention. I noticed how pale and washed-out Abi looked in the light of day. So grey that she almost looked deathly. Almost looked like she was dying.