She looked away. Behind her stood three different women, each prettier than her in different ways. They were all lighter than she with better hair and body shapes. Emma stared at Taylor, concentrating on how glamorous she looked dressed in a tight black dress that cut off just shy of her rear end. Her fiery hair was curled lightly around her oval face. Her make-up was done to highlight her natural features rather than to create new ones. How was Emma supposed to go to a dating event and compete against Taylor? None of her dates would want her if she was next to Taylor.

She sighed and hung her head. "I don't compare. That's the issue isn't it?"

Lucy gasped. "No Emma, you have it wrong. Larissa doesn't compare to you. You're the catch. You're the beautiful one, inside and out. Any man would be lucky to have you by their side, you'll see. Tonight, every eye will be on you. You won't know what to do with all the admirers you'll attract tonight."

Emma smiled. The words were nice to hear but she didn't believe them. Lucy was just being kind, as she always was. Emma's confidence was at an all-time low but, she fought to plaster on a stiff smile. "Thanks. Now let's get me ready."

~~***~~

Emma wasn't sure what to expect walking into the large building. Quick Date had secured one of the largest events halls in the city and had transformed it into Cupid's dream and her nightmare. The room was covered in red and pink. After the sixth heart, Emma was ready to puke. It was too much, even for a hopeless romantic like her.

Taylor; however, was soaking it all up. To Emma's surprise, Taylor had been polite all evening thus far. Any resentment she'd had earlier in the week, was long gone. Perhaps her resentment was centered towards Joey rather than her. Emma hoped that was the case.

"How amazing is this?" Taylor squealed and grabbed Emma's arm. "It's so pretty and oh my gosh, look at the men!" Taylor pointed towards the end of the room and Emma's eyes followed. Her mouth dropped. Taylor's excitement had now finally reached her.

"Damn," Emma said softly.

Taylor chuckled. "I know!" she sighed dreamily. "And we get to meet them." Emma looked at Taylor and smiled at her giddiness. "This is going to be so much fun!"

Emma was starting to believe that.

A crackle came through the speakers and Emma looked towards the front of the hall. A tall, brunette woman stood dressed in a stunning lilac evening gown. Her hair was pinned to the side allowing waves to cascade down her left shoulder. The hairstyle made her sharp face point out even more. Taylor pulled on Emma's arm and together they walked towards the stage.

"Good evening everyone," the woman spoke. The crowd applauded. "Welcome to our annual Quick Date event." More cheers sounded. "I'm your host and the event organizer, Cheryl." Someone whistled and Cheryl smirked. "You've all received your briefs on how this works and were given a number upon entry. Now, all that's left is to start." Emma glanced down to her chest where a small white name tag was stuck to her. The number 27 was written in bold black ink.

"To start our evening," Cheryl continued, "We'll have the women find their seat on the left of the hall. Each man upon entry was given the numbers of 20 women who came the closest to matching with them. They have the order of the numbers they are to see. When the buzzer chimes, the men will need to move on to the next number. Remember that each three-minute interval will have a challenge so make sure to listen when I speak." Cheryl winked at the crowd and Emma grew nervous. "Ladies, go find your seats!"

"Emma grabbed Taylors arm in a tight grip. "Twenty men! No one said anything about twenty men."

Taylor shrugged. "It's the rules of the event. Some will be from the contest and some will be stranger."