1

"This house is so big,I love you sis" Sam said while jumping on the half broken sofa.

Mindy took a look into the backyard. The long plantations of corn and mustard plants rendered an elegant look. The house looked a bit old. It was the oldest house in the neighbourhood,the only one to have survived the bulldozers . Owner said that after 40 more years the house would become an antique.

Sitting on the sofa felt like a luxury for Mindy.She hadn't rested for 4 days since she got kicked. She had been fired from work. The land owner was a nice lady,but niceness had its limits.The advert was a blessing. Although far from the city and in a wilderness of nowhere the rent was for a quarter of what she paid. Just what she needed till she regained her job.

She laid back against the wallpaper . It felt so mushy and cold.....like human skin. She kept stroking it for minutes. Leather textured wallpaper .... wow. This had to be worth a fortune.

"Hey ,hello neighbour" her thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell. There was a handsome blonde guy by the door. His hair was stroked back , with chiseled abs and blue eyes. Mindy knew this had to be the best day of her life.

"Just saw you moved in.I'm matt"

"Yeah,do you live close"

"Just the next building.So are you permanent ?"

"Yeah . Just on rent. Hoping to do a few years unless she kicks us out.So what do you do?"

"Me!Oh, I'm into wood.Wanna come by  my house  . Just the next one"

"Sure.Just gimme a minute"

Mindy hopped on her joggers and went out. Matt was waiting outside.Together they went for a tour around the neighbourhood.

"So um are there any schools closeby.I'm thinking of putting Sam close."

"Oh yeah there are plenty.You could come with me tomorrow. We will find someplace nice for sam".

"So where are u from?Dont recall seeing you around here"

"Oh I'm from the city.Just lost my job so..."

"Oh that's okay.There are plenty of jobs around here. So how do you like the house"

"It's really pretty . I mean for the price has to be a bargain. Wonder why she would make it that cheap?"

"Did she tell you about the previous owners?"
"Um,no .Is there something I need to know"

Matt brought his face up close and whispered "Listen , every house owner in that house has left within a month.I used to bring up groceries for one of them a Mr.Doug i think. One day when I checked in on him... he looked so different . His eyes had sunk deep into his sockets.His voice was deeper. It seemed like he was someone else!"

"Wow thanks ..... for scaring me"

"Just take care ... I'm saying. I know the house doesn't rhyme up with most haunted houses. There hadn't been any deaths...most owners leave and dont report problems. But I think the place has always felt a little offset. Not to mention that nobody lives over there for over a month."

"That's okay.I could just come over you know"Mindy said blushing.