_____________

"She said what?" Jack gasped. He and Maddie were waiting for me at my flat to hear what Ara had to say. "She's trying to get in my head and make me second guess Harry as a person. I want to say that it didn't work but it's kind of working. I kind of feel like I'm just some sort of rebound." I sank into the couch and Maddie shook her head.

"No, babe, you're not. Don't think like that. He didn't go through of all of that for a rebound. You're what he wants." Maddie reassured me. "Maddie's right. He would never do that. Come on, Ev, you know him better than that." Jack reminded me.

They're right, and I know they're right. But something keeps pulling at me, trying to convince me that I'm in the wrong, that I'm the one who's going to end up broken and alone.

"My mom would know what to say." I sighed. "Call her?" Maddie offered. I shook my head. "No, I think I need to head home. I need to visit her. I haven't been home in over a year. I think it's time I head back for a bit."

"You really think that would be best? You and Harry just started this new thing and you're gonna take off?" Maddie asked. "I'll figure it out." I responded simply. I pulled out my phone and texted Harry that we needed to meet at the café before heading toward the door and driving there.

I drove fast, surprised that I didn't crash into anyone. I pulled into the parking lot and hopped out. Harry was standing at the door with a slightly annoyed look on his face.

"I was in the studio, what was the emergency?" Harry asked me, a frown on his face. I had clearly interrupted something important.

"My lunch with Ara, in which she practically threatened me and told me I was just someone you'd throw away. Look, I know that's not true, but she did make a point that I was the reason you two split up. It was all my fault and if not for me, you'd probably be happy and planning a wedding with her." I said to him straight.

Harry's mouth fell open. He clearly wasn't expecting this.

"Evelynn, are you serious? You realize that no matter if we planned the wedding with the prettiest wedding planner on the planet, which we did by the way, or the meanest and rudest wedding planner on the planet, things would have fallen apart anyway? We were not ready to get married, and if that's not obvious to her now then maybe it never will be. All I know is I made the right decision. This is the right decision. Please don't second guess that." Harry's tone was desperate, like he was reaching out for me but didn't know if I'd reach back.

I believed him. I knew that he was telling the truth, and anyone could have seen that they weren't ready to get married to one another.

So why do I feel so hesitant? Why can't I just run into his arms? Why can't I let him know I believe him and move on from this silly conversation?

"Evelynn." He said my name again and I looked back toward him. "Trust me." His words cut deep, and made me remember times in my life when I had been hesitant to trust, and how I had regretted not putting my trust into others. I needed to turn a new leaf. I needed to put my faith in someone else's hands, otherwise how would I ever learn to trust him again?

See, that's just the thing, though. The exact minute you put your trust into someone, they have the soul-crushing ability to break you into a million pieces. They can do whatever they want, and you're powerless. You've given them the ability to hurt you, but you somehow have to trust that they won't.

"I do trust you." I said quietly and he grabbed my hand to hold in his. "This, right here," Harry gestured between us, "is for real. It's not going anywhere and it's not going to be easily broken by someone else's jealousy." He stated. His eyes searched mine, waiting for a response.

"I'm going to go to New York." I said swiftly. "To visit my mom." He looked at me with confusion. "And I want you to come." I stated and his eyes lit up. "To New York?" He asked and I nodded. "Ev, I'd love to. Would you be cool with staying in my house there?" Harry asked and I smiled. "Where don't you own a house, Harry?" I tilted my head.

"In New York it's technically not a house it's a loft-style condo but I mean, I see where you'd get confused." He teased. "Well, I'd love to stay there. And you're okay with meeting my mom?" I asked. "Well, it can't be any worse than meeting your dad." Harry laughed, causing me to laugh as well.

"That's extremely true." I agreed.

_____________

"Harry, this is gorgeous." I said, walking inside of the condo and spinning around in circles trying to make sure I didn't miss any details. "Thanks, I actually got this place back when I was in the band. I'm in New York a fair amount for work, so I figured I'd keep it. It is quite nice." He took my bags into the hallway and I followed him towards his bedroom.

"Sometimes I forget that you were in a band. It seems like it was so long ago. Besides Niall, do you ever talk to any of them?" I asked. Harry shrugged. "From time to time. I don't need to talk to them constantly to know that we have a bond for life, I guess." Harry's face was soft as he spoke, allowing me to recognize his admiration for his bandmates.

"I'd love to meet them someday." I stated. Harry smirked at me. "I'm sure they'd love to meet you as well. Now, come on. I made dinner reservations." He smiled at me. "You didn't have to do that. I would have been fine staying here."

"Nonsense. I haven't had the pleasure of taking you out on a proper, fancy date yet. So, we're going tonight." Harry smiled proudly. "Alright, just let me get changed." I walked over to my bag and pulled out the nicest thing I had packed, which was supposed to be for our lunch with my mom tomorrow.

I slipped on the black dress in Harry's bathroom before brushing my hair and styling it with my flat iron. Once I was ready, I walked into the great room where Harry was sitting, playing with a guitar. "Ready to go?" I asked him, and he looked up at me, a smile breaking out over his face.

"Evelynn, you are absolutely stunning." He whispered just loud enough for me to hear him. My cheeks tinted pink. "Thanks Harry." I tried to hide my face from him but there wasn't exactly anywhere to turn.

"I'm the luckiest guy." He smiled before grabbing my hand and leading me toward the door.

"Where are we headed this evening?" I asked cheerfully. "You'll see when we get there." Harry smirked. "We're not going to some super fancy place where we have to whisper to each other the whole time, are we?" I looked up at him.

"No way, places like that are zero fun." He looked straight ahead with a sly look on his face. He pressed the elevator button and patiently waited for the elevator to come up to our floor.

"Have you heard anything from your mom?" Harry asked me. "I told her we're here and that we'll see her tomorrow for lunch." I said as the elevator doors opened for us. Harry nodded.

We got in and Harry pressed the main floor button. I saw him looking at me out of the corner of my eye. Harry pressed a button on the side of the elevator that made it stop, causing me to hold onto the railing.

"Harry, what the hell?" I asked and he grabbed me by my waist, pulling me into him. "The date can wait for a second. You look too good to wait until the end of the night." He whispered against my lips, causing me to smile before leaning into him and pressing my lips against his.

____________

The next morning I woke up to an empty bed, with Harry nowhere to be seen.

"Harry?" I asked, pulling on a robe and walking out into the hallway. I heard shuffling in the kitchen and I followed the noise, seeing Harry pacing in front of his island.

"Harry, what's wrong?" We had had such a nice night last night, so it was confusing to see him so stressed out.

"Evelynn." He was startled by me but instantly relaxed. "Don't freak out, okay?" Harry said to me. "What would I freak out about, Harry?" I asked, starting to get concerned.

"Ara, she, um, she went public. About everything. Our wedding, then you, then me and her splitting up, and now you and me. It's everywhere." He looked visibly distressed.

And in that split second, the entire life that I'd spent years building up crumbled in front of me.

***
shit is about to go down