last night

Above: Ev's office is the middle red brick building

________________

"Sorry, what?" Evelynn said, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. I took a swig of the wine she gave me and shrugged.

"I'm just feeling very uncertain these days." I sighed, looking up at her.

Look, I know I'm engaged and all, but Evelynn O'Connor is absolutely stunning. She's naturally beautiful, and her curly hair is gorgeous. Her smile is by far her best feature, and her natural drive and work ethic are seriously attractive.

My attraction to her has been making me second guess everything, including my engagement. If I'm attracted to her, does that mean that it's too soon to be marrying Ara? Does that mean I shouldn't commit myself to one woman at this point in my life?

"Uncertain about what? Please don't say your wedding." Evelynn stated, stress rising in her face. I knew that she was worried about money. "Relax, if the wedding doesn't happen, you'll get to keep the money. I won't ask for a refund." I said, causing relief to flood over her face, just for panic to set in.

"Does that mean you're having second thoughts?" Evelynn said, sitting on the chair across from me. I shrugged. "Can I get your honest opinion on something?" I asked, taking another sip of wine. She nodded.

"If I find myself attracted to another woman while being engaged, does that mean that I shouldn't be getting married?" I asked, hoping she wouldn't pick up on the fact that I was talking about her.

Evelynn just tossed her head from side to side, mulling over the situation.

"Well, I think attraction is just a human feeling. You'll probably still find yourself attracted to people even after you're married, but it's the fact that you love Ara that matters. You're not in love with some woman walking down the street who has a nice smile or gorgeous hair. You're just admiring her features." Evelynn said.

I nodded slowly. "That makes sense, I guess. But what if it's more than just admiring features. What if it's admiring their passion for what they do, their personality and also their features?" I asked, sipping more wine.

"Then I'd say you have a problem." Evelynn chuckled, sipping her wine before realizing that I wasn't laughing. "Wait, is this a real thing or something hypothetical?" She said, sounding worried. Her voice was blanketed with concern, and I couldn't tell if it was for me or if it was for Ara.

"I think it might be real." I whispered. Evelynn's eyes went wide. "Holy shit! Harry! You can't do this to Ara! If you don't want to marry her then break it off, but do not plan this entire wedding with her and then not show up in the end! You'll break her heart, her spirit, her everything." Evelynn yelled, causing me to flinch. I hadn't expected that.

"Does Ara know you're here? Or did you lie?" Evelynn asked, raising an eyebrow. "I told her I was going to the studio. I don't know why I'm here because I had every intention of going to the studio." I ran a hand through my hair. It's true, I did.

"Harry, you can't keep lying to her. If you want out of the relationship, then tell her. Tell her now." Evelynn warned. "But we've only been engaged for a month, and I do love her. I don't know what's happening." I said, becoming frustrated with myself.

Evelynn sighed and drank more of her wine. "You're in a tough spot. Just don't wait until you're leaving her at the altar, that's the most destructive thing you could ever do." She said, and I nodded. "You're right." I sighed. I looked down at my empty wine glass and then back up at Evelynn. "Refill?" I said cheekily. She laughed and took my glass, filling it back up with wine.