When Sam locked eyes with Emily her world shifted as she recognized those deep brown eyes. She knew.

Sam pursed his lips and tucked her head under his chin, "They're still around," he said sorrowfully. His eyes shut as Emily began shaking. Tears threatened to fall from her eyes and Sam was quick to say something to help. "Jared and Paul have been keeping watch over her."

This was true. During Embry's newbie stages one of them would stay with Embry and help him transition the two others would tail Harper. Sometimes even making a false trail to lead the girl away from where Embry and the other were shifting. Especially after she had actually seen him. If they caught the sickly sweet scent of the vampiress one would chase after that. It was tireless work for them as Harper was always in the forest. And yet Harper, as an outsider, wasn't allowed to know. The council wouldn't allow it, Billy and Old Quil refused. What Sam and Emily didn't think the council had realized was that Harper was determined and curious. She would find out soon enough even if they didn't want her to and that was something Emily would bet her house on.

Jared and Embry rushed into Emily's, each of them depositing their backpacks in the guest bedroom. Both stripping off their shirts and shoes before running into the woods. Embry had a job to do and Jared had to watch for some vampire. The usual day for a shifter.

In the woods, Harper was going to the place where she found prints the easiest, and most often. At this point, she had practically made a trail herself. Harper hiked her bag up higher on her shoulders while her eyes remained steadily focused on the muddy ground to the trees, looking for any sort of indication that a wolf had been there. Her eyes focused on the ground and a resounding smacking sound echoed around the woods as Harper had hit her forehead at her own stupidity.

She remembered that 1) she was an idiot and 2) it had rained during the last period of school. She was sure that even if there was a wolf here, which was doubtful, its prints would be ruined by the rain. If they were fresh she was sure she would be lunch. Which she did not doubt as since she had started her forest treks she hadn't found a single animal carcass which left her wondering what exactly what they ate. As the thought passed through her mind she hurriedly dug out her notebook and pen to write that question in the designated question section. Harper frowned to herself at her idiocy, standing up, and brought her water bottle up to her lips. 

She stood as still as a statue when a twig snapped. Not even bothering to make a sound Harper held her breath. Harper turned her head to look at where it came from and then she saw him. A loud groan came from her as she caught sight of him. Harper scowled at Embry who sheepishly came out of the treeline.

"God, you are such a creep," Harper murmured noticing how A) he was not wearing a shirt as per usual and B) that he must've been following her.

Embry curled his upper lip and crossed his arms. "That's not very nice," he frowned.

Harper rolled her eyes. It was rich coming from him. "You're the one following young girls while shirtless in the woods," she quipped and turned away from him. "Sounds like a creep to me."

"Wait!" He shouted after staring dumbfounded in the spot she once stood. He rushed to where Harper had in fact stopped. She turned slowly and crossed her arms. Harper's eyebrows raised to his hairline and he caught himself counting every mole, beauty mark, or freckle. 

"Aren't you scared of the woods, Scaredy Cat?" She asked tauntingly. Embry furrowed his brows as he mouthed the nickname she had dubbed him. He shook his head as he tried to get his mind on the right track.

"Uh, nope," He said unconfidently. Harper was beginning to think being unconfident was his signature.

"So, your fear of bears was complete bullshit. Good to know," Harper commented snarkily.