Chapter One

Plunging into the cold waters off the Eastern End of Long Island, Kam looked over at his clients, Bill Simpson and his wife Nancy. Looking through his goggles, he gave them a thumbs up and waited for confirmation before proceeding.

Having spent nearly every waking moment of his life in the water, Kam Jordan was at home. Former Olympian turned scuba diving instructor, he had carved out a new life for himself, taking rich people out to dive sights off the shores of East Hampton. It was not a bad way to earn a living.

Oxygen bubbles spilled out of their regulators and danced to the surface as they made their decent into the diverse underwater habitat, which was teeming with life.

Using nonverbal cues, Kam gave instruction to his clients and pointed out a school of nurse sharks that were swimming beneath them. They all looked down in awe, floating effortlessly, marveling at the privileged sight.

They had been at it for over an hour before they decided to return to the surface. Their heads breached the water and Kam pulled up his goggles and removed his regulator. He had a huge smile on his face.

"What did you guys think?" he asked somewhat rhetorically. He could see the joy on his clients' faces.

"That was incredible!" Bill said, looking over at Nancy.

"Absolutely amazing," she confirmed. "When can we do it again?"

"I have time this week if you would like to book another session."

"We'll have to check our schedules and get back to you," Bill said.

Bill was first to climb onto the platform that extended off the back of his sixty-foot yacht. He then helped Nancy. Kam looked out at the calm waters. In nearly every direction, as far as the eye could see, was water. No land in sight. It was a breathtaking view and he just wanted to take a moment to appreciate it before heading back.

"You coming?" Bill asked extending a hand and a friendly smile. "Or if you want, we could leave you out here and you could swim back."

"Bill, that's not funny," Nancy said. "Don't even joke about that."

"What? I was just... Come on, let me help you up."

Once everyone was aboard, they began their journey back to shore. Riding high atop a multi-million-dollar vessel with the sun shining and wind in his hair, Kam was living the good life.

"That was quite the experience," Bill said, pouring a glass of whiskey.

"Yeah, it's not every day we see nurse sharks," Kam said. "There must have been over a dozen of them."

"Yeah, we got lucky. Whiskey?"

"No, thank you."

"This is what it's all about, huh?" Bill said, taking a sip. "Whoever said money can't buy happiness?"

"Bill, don't talk about money," Nancy said.

"Yours is a life that's truly blessed my friend," Kam said, quoting a line from his favourite movie.

"The Count of Monte Cristo," Bill pointed out, recognizing the line. "One of my favourite movies."

"Mine too, it's a classic."

"So how did you get into scuba diving?" Bill asked.

"I'm not sure what it was, but I've always been drawn to the water. From an early age, I begged my parents to put me in swimming lessons, and then I'd spend nearly every waking second in the pool.

"As I grew older, I started swimming competitively. Took it as far as I could go."

"Olympics, right?"