chapter 7

"So, Otaru, how long have you been playing volleyball?" Trying to make smalltalk was the best he could do right now. "Hm, three years? I think so." He always replied cooly and nonchalantly.
They started to take the nets down together, then gathered all the volleyballs, akaashi explaining everything along the way, showing him around while he was at it. "This is the last thing, so we should-"
"You're an omega, aren't you?"
Well, there's that. Thanks.
"Um, well yes but that's not exactly important right now Otaru-san."
"So that's why it smelled like that the whole time." Although he whispered to himself, akaashi could hear him clear as day. In all his thinking, akaashi hadn't even realized that they had finished cleaning up. "It's time to go. I guess I'll see you tomorrow Otaru-san." I left before he could respond. I didn't want to hear him respond, really. As I walked out of the school gates, loud footsteps we're heard pounding the ground behind me. My eyes widened, and I whipped around, not very surprised to see Otaru catching up to where I was standing. He looked down at me, and inhaled sharply. "Akaashi, let's be friends!" Well that was a shocker. I gave him a deadpan look, not expecting this at all from him. "S-since you seem really cool and quiet to hang around, and um.. you're an unmarked omega maybe I could- help you from other alphas?" I didn't really know what to say to him, my mind was reeling right now. He, as a friend, wants to protect me from other alphas, the boy that I just met today.
"Okay." Welp too late now akaashi.
"O-okay? Okay! I promise I won't let you down, Akaashi!" What a mood swing from bored and cold to shy and excited. Without another word, Otaru ran ahead, only saying a goodbye and that he was late for something. I shrugged it off and continued my way home.

The next day, Otaru-san joined me on my walk to the school. He talked to me about how much he likes volleyball, where he moved from and more random stuff that I wasn't really interested in because, well, he wasn't bokuto. He always has a different story every day, and they were always amazing, though I'd never tell him that of course. We made it to the school gates, and we parted ways because he was a third year and I was a second year. Class went as normal, then it was time for practice. For some reason, akaashi couldn't help but wonder how it would be today.