Knowing that it's easier to join them than fight, I decide to answer this one swiftly. "It's been ten years; he's just waiting for me to put the ball in his court now like he does every time. The guy doesn't make a move unless I show up first."

"Holdin' my breath I waited and waited. How'd a simple life get so complicated?" Casey mumbles, leaning into Jack as she does so. The affection makes me bite my bottom lip, missing the days where that was me happily curled into my significant other. "How did something so simple always get so complicated Rose?"

Amy snickers, "Because she's just a complicated person."

"I'm not going to deny that." I shrug, "Honestly, even though it would've been a long ass title, Dave should've names the album that because it describes all of these songs perfectly. Letting me go would've been the simple path, but instead he had to cause problems for both of us."

Frances nudges me lightly, "You know that's not what he meant by this Rose."

"Could've fooled me." I mumble back, puffing my cheeks out. "Anything else you'd like to discuss Holmes and Drew?" My blue eyes lock on the young couple across from me, waiting for the next batch of lyrics to come.

With a shrug, Jack points to one before looking back up at me. "You want pretend; I need for real."

---

July 8, 1997

Toronto, ON

A cold breeze hits my body, causing goosebumps to erupt across the skin on my arms and legs. The set had ended a couple of hours ago, leaving the band enough time to shower and gather food before hitting the road for Washington DC tonight.

Nate had so kindly offered to take everyone's laundry to get washed, Taylor tagging along to help the bassist carry the two large bags. Dave was whisked away by Silva at some point to do a quick radio interview, which left Rose and Pat alone for the first time all day.

The guitarist stood at her side, smoking his own cigarette with a blank expression on his face as he stares ahead, watching the crowd from their show continue to disperse. "Are you sure coming up here was a good idea Rose? You and I both know what happened last time..."

"I'm here because I need closure." I take a drag from my own cigarette, glancing up at the man out of the corner of my eyes. "I can't move on Pat, I've tried but until I end this back and forth thing Dave and I have going on, I'll never be happy."

He nods, letting out a sigh. "I get that, but did you have to come on the tour to do it? I love you, don't get me wrong, but I don't want Grohl to get the wrong idea."

"You said the same thing when I flew out to California..." His words no doubt offended me. The fact that Pat doesn't have confidence in my ability to fend off Dave's flirting just doesn't sit well with me. "So, when is a good time?"

The tan man throws the butt of is cigarette onto the ground, stomping it out before turning to face me. "Personally, I don't think he deserves to see you again after what he did in Seattle. Let alone talk to you and get closure Rose. The two of you are toxic for each other."

"I respectfully disagree," I mumble, "Dave and I were friends before we started dating and we can easily become friends again. We just need boundaries."

Pat rolls his eyes, "And that embrace earlier in the bunks was your way of 'setting boundaries'?"

"W-what?"

My eyes widen at his question, earning a pat on the arm from the older male. "Ro, there are eyes everywhere whether you want to believe it or not. Just be careful."

---

By ten o'clock, the bus is on the road, resulting in a competitive game of Mario Cart 64 on Taylor's Nintendo in the back lounge. Empty beer bottles scatter the back table, having been downed by Dave, Taylor and I in the last hour of playing and yelling rather aggressively at one another.

My feet are propped up on Taylor's lap as I sit with my back against Dave's shoulder, hoping the position would keep this round of racing fair. The distance preventing the two bandmates from nudging each other whenever one passed the other.

"Oh, come on man, stop running me off the track!" Taylor shouts, leaning forward slightly to get a better look at the course map on the small screen. "This isn't even fair at this point."

Glancing up at Dave, I easily spot the smirk playing on his lips. He looks like a kid again, no tour and band stress, just Dave being Dave. Having fun and drinking with friends. However, when he pushes Taylor off the track again, I can't help but roll my eyes. The frown on my blonde friends' face brings one to my own as I watch him fall behind three spots on the leader board, Dave's avatar still being in first.

Biting the inside of my cheek, I decide that playing a little dirty couldn't hurt.

My left hand nonchalantly moves to the inside of his thigh, using the leverage to adjust my body into a more comfortable position. The placement causes him to hiss, brown eyes glancing down to figure out what was going with me on before returning to the screen when he thought I was done moving.

It wasn't until the final lap that I suddenly inch my hand higher up on his thigh, a smirk playing on my lips when I feel his body stiffen at the action. His knuckles turn white from his grip on the controller and the excited shout from Taylor tells me that my goal had been achieved, Dave had fucked up.

With a playful laugh, I move to sit up, but I find myself unable to do so when my body is pressed down into the leather couch cushions. Eyes widening when Dave pins my arms above my head.

"Shit..." Taylor mutters, shaking his head with a laugh before waving goodnight to the two of us. "Use protection you two."

His last comment causes my cheeks to heat up, watching the blonde drummer leave the room before returning my full attention to the man currently pinning my body down. While the situation was stressful, it also intrigued me. "What the hell was that?"

"What was what?" I attempt to play dumb as his face inches closer to mine.

Dave scoffs, "Don't play innocent with me Rosemary."

"I just don't know what you're talking about David." Our usual playful banter brings a smirk to my lips as I attempt to get out of his tight grip, resulting in his grip tightening.

With a sigh, I relax into the leather, feeling my neck beginning sweat from nerves as Dave continues to stare at me. My breath hitches when I see his face drop lower, bringing his lips closer to mine, close enough that I could see his hot breath on my face. As he inches closer again, I let my eyes slide closed, fully expecting to feel out lips collide for the first time in three years.

The feeling never comes though. Instead, the weight holding me down disappears and when my eyes open again, I find Dave standing next to the open door with his hands on his hips. He lets out a soft chuckle, turning to leave with a final wave over his head. "I win."

---

Hi everyone!

This was a lot today, so I hope you enjoyed!

This chapter had to be completely rewritten to fit the rest of the story and now I'm big time regretting writing False Starts in first person POV . When I first started this last year, I wasn't at all comfortable writing in third person, but now that I've taken a fiction writing class I've learned how to make everything flow and this is so hard now.

Love you always xoxo

I'll see all of you with Chapter 65 (and maybe 66) in a week!