Chapter 29

"Sloppy Lips To Lips. You're My Vitamins. I Like You."

December 7, 1991

Rennes, France

"Do you think we need security to get out of here?" I was nervous to say the least. A group of fans, mostly consisting of young women, were herded outside the door to our tour bus in hopes of catching one of the guys on their way out. Specifically, Kurt.

Dave stood behind me, hands tightly gripping my waist as I glance over my shoulder at him. His long hair was hidden under a trucker hat that I'd never seen before, our idea of a disguise. "I think you and I will be fine. The fans usually flock to Kurt and leave Krist and I alone."

"Thank god," I let out a fake sigh of relief causing the boy to chuckle.

He presses a light kiss to my temple before reaching out to grab the door handle, "You wouldn't have to worry if they did pay more attention to me. I only have eyes for one girl and she's already pressed up against me."

"You're a fucking cheeseball, you know that?"

A shit eating grin was on his face as he squeezes my left hip, "You wouldn't want me any other way. Ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be..." As the door opens, screaming ensued. Surrounding Dave and I like a wall as he shuts the bus door and begins leading me through the crowd. I couldn't comprehend half of what everyone was asking, words became jumbled together as foreign languages mix with English.

Every so often though Kurt's name would pop up, telling me that Dave was right. Everyone is so focused on the lead singer that they don't even realize there are other members in the band.

Once we were out of the danger zone, Dave released his grip on me. He swiftly tugged the hat he had somehow acquired in the last month off his head, letting his long locks fall past his shoulders, before sliding it on backwards. "Well that was..."

"An experience..." I quietly finish his sentence, taking his hand in mine. "Does it upset you?"

He tilts his head in my direction, shooting me a confused look. "Does what upset me?"

"That the fans don't seem to know your name," I frown at the thought, "They know 'Nirvana' and the label boasts about 'Kurt Cobain' so much that it's become a household name. Are you upset by that?"

His lips purse, obviously thinking the question over in his head.

Deep down, I know it upsets Dave. He would never admit it out loud, but he wishes he was the heartthrob everyone couldn't keep their eyes off. The music genius that young musicians look up to for guidance. However, instead that title is taken exclusively by his bandmate and best friend.

"I'm just happy to be here." His usual smile is absent from his features as he pulls the venues loading door open for me to enter. "I just want to play music that means something to people."

---

"Three, Two, One, GO!" Krist shouts, signaling the beginning of Shelli and I's drinking feast. I quickly down two shots back to back, swallowing before picking up another two. The familiar burning sensation in my throat made me cringe as I down the second round before slamming the glasses on the table, turning my full attention to Dave.

For some reason, the four of us thought it would be a good idea to host a 'Liquor Olympics' in our dressing room since it is our last official night on tour before the new year. "Rosemary get your cute ass over here!"

"I'm coming you little bitch." I giggle before rushing across the room, Shelli right on my tail as Dave finishes pouring red solo cups full of cheap beer for us to chug.