Chapter 3

"What If I Say I'm Not Just Another One Of Your Plays?"

Richmond, VA

February 6, 1988

I took a long drag from my newly lit cigarette while waiting for my friends to come out of the thrift store. "Jesus Christ it doesn't take this long to pick out some clothes guys..." My eyes roll instinctively as I took another drag and stare up at the dark clouds rolling in; it was going to rain soon.

With an annoyed huff I tossed my half-finished cig on the ground, stomping on it before making my way inside the thrift store in hopes of pulling the two girls out. "Rose! What do you think?" The first of my two friends, Cecilia, popped out of one of the fitting rooms sporting a ripped-up Melvin's shirt and black skinny jeans.

The thing about Cecilia is that she didn't exactly fit into the ever-growing Virginia music scene. She went to school dressed in skirts and cute blouses while I hardly ever attended anymore. At this point I was waiting for a letter to come home telling me I wasn't going to make it to senior year so I could drop out already.

"If you can find a leather jacket, it'll be perfect." I knocked on the other occupied changing room before adding, "Hurry up though because it's about to storm and I'd rather not get soaked before the show."

The other member of our small group, Mary, exited her dressing room looking like she just stepped out of an Adams Family episode. "Why are you so hell bent on going to this show? You don't even listen to Scream..."

"I have plans in motion for tonight," In reality what I was saying was that I was going to try my luck with the drummer this time around. "Are you ready?"

She nods, handing the scared woman behind the counter money for the clothes on her body as Cecilia returned with a rather nice leather jacket in hand. "You look like 80's goth rock and glam rock's baby, Mary."

"Cece, I don't think you have any room to be judging people right now." Rather than continuing the argument, Cecilia chose to ignore it and pay for her clothes before following Mary and I out of the store. "So, what's the real reason you are so hell bent on going to this show?"

I shrug and glance at my goth looking friend out of the corner of my eye, "Jade and I saw them before she... you know, and we ran into their drummer."

"Oh, you mean David?" Cecilia's question instantly caught our attention. "He's a real sweetheart. Probably one of the best guys I've ever met." Mary's shocked expression matched mine as we stared, bewildered at the girl. "You act like I live under a rock. I grew up in the same neighborhood as him."

I was at a loss for words, choosing to completely ignore what was coming out of Cecilia's mouth for the time being. If he was a 'nice guy' then tonight may not go the way I planned.

---

I brought my cigarette to my lips as one of the opening bands continued with their set. So far, I had been ditched by both Mary and Cecilia and there had been no members of Scream in sight. Part of me contemplated leaving the two girls behind to find their own way home, but I could never bring myself to leave.

While I seem like an asshole on the outside, I was still the same girl on the inside. I care about others, but I avoid caring too much. "Can I have a water please?" The new voice caught my attention and I felt my throat close up when I realized David now occupied the stool next to me.

"Shit sorry is this seat taken? I can move." His warm brown eyes met mine in a slight panic, but I shrugged as a signal that he could stay. It was obvious by the way he carried himself that he was shy.