Chapter 36

"The Life, The Love You'd Die To Heal"

Sydney, AUS

January 25, 1992

Obnoxiously loud guitars, big drums, and intricate bass lines. That is how I would describe Nirvana if someone ever were to ask me.

The three men that I consider family are currently on stage completing a soundcheck for their headlining opportunity at the first ever Big Day Out in Australia, and if last night's Sydney gig at the Phoenician Club is any indication about how tonight will go, the venue is going to be slammed.

While it wasn't a shock to onlookers like Shelli and I, the band couldn't believe the sight last night when we arrived at the venue. Thousands of Australian teenagers were lined up, just hoping to catch a glimpse of the band or even scramble their way into the venue at a later time. It was pandemonium, and some of the later venues have already called to tell us they are in the process of booking the band into larger ones.

My eyes lock on Dave's sleek frame stationed behind the drum kit. His motions were fluid; reminding me of a drummer who has been behind a kit his whole life rather than a young adult who started playing a little under ten years ago. His natural talent and determination to be the best astounds me. It is what sets him apart from other musicians.

As the band completes their instrumental run-through of Mr. Moustache, Dave gets up in order to adjust the placement of some of his gear.

With his back to me I can't help but hiss and bite my bottom lip. His muscles were always more defined after playing and the sight of his toned back was doing things to me. "Stop staring."

"Can you blame me though?" I groan and begrudgingly tear my eyes away from the drummer in order to take the beer Shelli was offering me. "That boy doesn't have to do anything and I'm putty in his hands..."

She plops herself next to me on the large gear storage crate, "I'd be worried if everything that boy did, didn't do something to you. Dave's fucking attractive and it blows my mind how genuinely nice he is to everyone. You don't find many of those in the music world anymore."

"Ginnie knew what she was doing when she raised him," I smile and turn my attention back to the drummer. Although, I wish I hadn't as I catch sight of him tying his hair back with the ponytail I lent him his morning. The way his arms were stationed above his head defined his traps and biceps, making me feel lightheaded. "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?"

I bring my hand up, fanning my warm face, as Dave turns around and locks eyes with me. A genuine smile appearing on the boy's face when he realizes I was already looking at him. He mouthed a quick 'I love you' before returning behind his kit to finish sound checking. "The way you two act makes me wonder if I'm married to the wrong person."

"The spark will eventually die down between the two of us," I shrug and rest my hands on my knees so I can lean forward a bit, "I think we're still stuck in the honeymoon phase to be honest."

Shelli chuckles, "Girl with everything you two have gone through, I think your honeymoon stage ended a long time ago. You just generally enjoy each other that much."

She wasn't wrong there.

One thing is for sure, no matter what Dave and I go through in the coming years, I never will get tired of him being around. We could do the most malicious things and still forgive one another to ensure the other will still be around. Love really does make you crazy, I guess...

He goes through a few more beats, adjusting what he needed to along the way before confidently playing a short drum solo. His long hair flying everywhere as Krist and Kurt easily fall into step with Dave's playing. "Fuck me sideways Grohl..."