Chapter 61

"Shame On You, Seducing Everyone"

July 4, 1997

Virginia Beach, VA

Throughout my life, I've never been the type of girl who lays in the sand for hours on end in search of a tanner complexion. When my family took our yearly trip to southeastern Virginia or northeastern North Carolina they could never get me out of the water, so having to rest easy next to my boyfriend is eating me alive.

My mother can be seen on the coastline watching my younger brother like a hawk; close enough where she can swoop in if he needs help, but far enough where he doesn't feel suffocated. The curly haired boy doesn't seem too entertained with the crashing waves, choosing to sprint in the opposite direction every time one seemed to crash against the shore rather than running headfirst into the spiral of water like I did in my youth.

As I watch the two interact, I can't help but feel a familiar uneasiness take over me. It's something I've learned to live with now that I spend so much time assisting my mother in raising Rhys, but every so often a pang of sadness hits me.

If things had played out differently, maybe that protective mother figure would be me watching over Eva. Being that Dave and I are her parents, she would have no doubt been a handful, taking our eyes off her for more than a few seconds could prove disastrous.

With a sigh, I slide my sunglasses back over my eyes, giving into the stereotypical beach outing that Liam has wished upon us. For a guy whose family owns a lake house, he has an unusual hatred for water, which means I'm stuck here until Rhys asks me to join him again.

"Hey." A finger lightly traces over my upper arm as someone's hot breath against my neck causes goosebumps to rise across my body. The voice doesn't belong to Liam, and I can't help but get queasy as a pair of familiar lips press against my shoulder. "Ro, you're going to get burnt if we don't get up soon. We've been out here all morning."

My mouth opens to respond without my instruction to, which makes me realize that this is a memory from the past. "But I'm on vacation. Shouldn't I be allowed to look like a lobster when no one else will see me?"

"You can," Dave chuckles, pulling my glasses away from my face and laying them down next to him, "But don't come running to me when you get itchy tonight and can't rest comfortably in our bed. I'll put earplugs in."

His words cause me to pout, sticking my power lip out as my blue eyes stare into his playful brown ones. "You wouldn't."

"You're right." He leans down, pressing a soft kiss to my lips before resting his forehead against mine. "If you're burnt, we can't have sex though, and I know you don't want to lose that option tonight."

I scoff when he winks down at me, pushing his chest lightly to signal that I want to sit up. "You're such a pig."

"I'm a guy," He shrugs, throwing an arm around me shoulder as I pretend to be mad at him. "You still love me though."

This brings yet another smile to my face, causing me to melt into his embrace once again. The thing I hate the most about Dave is also the thing I love the most. He can have the most vulgar mouth on the planet, but as long as he follows that statement with a sentimental one then I become putty in his hands. "Yeah, that I do."

"So," he pauses, bringing his bottom lip between his teeth, "Have you thought anymore about our wedding? My mom is getting antsy."

Dave's question puts me on edge and there's no doubt in my mind that he could feel my body stiffen in the spot where his hand gripped my side. His eager expression changes to one of confusion before settling on regret, which makes me feel terrible. No matter how many times he asks, I react the same way every time.