21 | All The Rumours

4996 words

The phone nearly slipped from Savannah's hands. If she hadn't been holding it so tightly, it would have fallen to the ground and shattered again.

"What?" she eventually voiced, her breath coming in short gasps as a deep hidden fear reared its head and gripped her around the throat. She'd always pushed away the notion that her mate could be as bad as the rumours made out, that the stories of his murder and destruction were embellished by gossipers. Surely, he wouldn't be so cruel and ruthless as to kill an Alpha.

But to hear her sister, her very trustworthy and dependable sister, say that he was charged with the worst crime imaginable, made Savannah's protective walls rise around her heart against the ice invading it. "Did you just say he killed an Alpha?" Even her own voice was unrecognisable to herself as it rose in pitch, drained of its usual Alpha strength as the dreadful words passed her lips.

Cale, who had followed her down the hallway, widened his eyes as he listened in on the conversation. He clutched her arm and began tugging, as if to whisk her to safety.

A dark shadow fell across them as heavy footsteps suddenly invaded their privacy.

"Give me that!"

The phone was ripped from Savannah's hand before Emerald could reply, and instead the Alpha found herself face to face with the cause of all her dread.

Hazel eyes burned into her own, a hardened fury overtaking his features. Savannah couldn't help envisioning this as how he might look when taking the life of someone her own rank. A full body shudder ran through her, crashing into the wave of adrenaline already in her veins and causing the two fronts to crash like tumultuous swells in a cross sea. The reaction vibrated through her, causing her already heightened senses to flare and jitter with static electricity.

"What the hell were you thinking, wrestling Bax like that?" Zion hissed, his voice lower than his normal speaking volume, yet echoing in her ears like explosive claps of thunder. "And winning? Are you just trying to get yourself killed by proving your Alpha strength?" He stepped closer, his large body pinning her against the wall when she tried to duck around him. Even Cale stepped closer, his frightened gaze locked on Zion and his body positioned to spring into action should his Alpha need protection.

"You--you are.. Get away from me! Alpha killer!" Savannah sputtered, her hands flying up between them and pushing on Zion's chest. He stumbled back, more from the weight of her words than her feeble attempt at overpowering him.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me! You killed an Alpha, and didn't tell me. You lied to me!" she spat, more furious with herself for beginning to believe in his goodness, than actually at him for not being honest with her. "You killed an Alpha and didn't think to mention that to me? You really are the heartless rogue everyone warned be about."

"What's going on?" Talei and Willow rounded the corner, coming up on either side of Cale. He could only watch with fear as Savannah confronted Zion about the truth of who he was.

"That's enough," Zion stepped forward and grabbed her fist before it slammed into his nose. "I suggest you keep your voice down unless you want to be torn to shreds," he growled lowly.

"Why? Are you going to kill me too? You have no problem killing Alphas, right? What's one more?" She glared at him and tried pulling her hands from his firm grip, railing against how easily he restrained her. Swallowing back fear, she prayed this wasn't how her life ended, surrounded by rogues as the most merciless of them all ripped her throat out.

She really thought he'd be different, that their bond would mean something and sway his roguish behavior to something more respectable and good. But judging by the dark gleam in his eyes and the firm set of his jaw, she could see he was nothing like the man she'd hoped he could be. This rogue was lethal, vicious, and cold to the very heart of his being. "Come on! Kill me like I know you've been itching to!"