039. foster Sister [02]

Over the next few weeks they became even closer, having late-night conversations about any subject, helping each other with school since they both went to southside high, spending so much time together that he was starting to forget about the absence he'd left in his friend group. Y/n made him feel better. Better about his dad, better about his friends, better about his situation, better about himself.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, then we can start the chapter." They'd started reading a novel by Philip K. Dick, something Jughead picked out from the library. He got up from his bed and walked to the bathroom that was connected to their room, while she sat down and opened the book, hoping for a sneak peek at the chapter they were about to enter.

"Who are you?" Betty said, after knocking on the open door. Y/n had never met, nor heard about the blonde girl, leaving her clueless as to why this stranger was in her room.

"I'm Y/n, who the hell are you?" She remarked, putting her book down and staring at the girl.

"I'm looking for Jughead. Why are you here?"

"I'm his roommate."

"Of course. I'm his girlfriend. And to think I felt threatened for a moment there." Betty laughed, putting down the other girl. The word girlfriend hit her like a truck. He had lied to her, and she fell for it.

"Bitch you should feel threatened" She raised her voice intimidatingly. Jughead came out of the bathroom at just the right time, stopping the fight that was about to go down.

"Betty. What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you Jug. I missed you." She said, pushing past Y/n and kissing him with force, causing Y/n to run out of the room, Jughead still calling after her. 

She ran and ran until she got to her favorite spot in the entire town, the bridge. Y/n spent countless numbers of days just sitting under the bridge reading. The last time she was there, she'd brought Jughead. She sat down, resting her head on the hard ground and staring up at the clouds.

"I knew you'd be here." Jug said, approaching the spot he knew Y/n loved most. She turned his way and what he saw terrified him. Y/n had tear streaks on her cheeks, something he never though he'd see, something he never wanted to see. She was the toughest girl he'd ever met, and he'd hurt her.

"Why are you crying?"

"Why am I crying? You lied to me." She yelled, making him jump. They both went silent, waiting for the other to speak. Y/n broke the silence first, 

"She's pretty, you know, your girlfriend. And to think, I thought I might sorta, maybe, kinda, liked you a little. But you'd probably never like me, I was stupid to think I had a chance. I'm just a kid."

"Hey, the reason I didn't tell you about Betty is because I might sorta, maybe, kinda, liked you too. And you're not a kid and I'm sorry Betty made you feel like that. You're only a year younger than me, it's not that big of a deal." He looked into her eyes, moving a stay piece of hair behind her ear. He leaned in and kissed her, feeling something with her he never felt with Betty.

"I'll break up with Betty, I'm done with her and her drama. I like you." He whispered, leaning his forehead against hers. She answered by kissing him again, wanting nothing more to be with him. He made her feel better than she'd ever felt, and she didn't want that to end.

~A few weeks later~

He broke it off with Betty, leaving her angry and spiteful. But Jug and Y/n, they'd never been closer. They practically did everything together, school, homework, chores, but the best thing was reading a book together every night. They'd curl up under a blanket and explore the world inside the words for hours, except when Ms. Sentry would do a check-in then they would have to break apart quickly. It was against the rules for kids in the same foster home to have a relationship, because technically Y/n was Jughead's 'foster sister'.

It was the same tonight, they were cuddled up, reading their latest book.

"I really like this book." She whispered, her eyes were getting heavier by the second, something he found adorable.

"I really like you." He whispered back, smiling down at her. When she looked up at him, he took the chance to kiss her, her warm lips against his was a feeling he would never forget.

"What do you kids think you're doing?" Ms. Sentry yelled from the doorway. They broke apart, not sure exactly how to lie their way out of this one.

"Ms. Sentry! Um, it's not what it looks like."

"Come with me young lady!" The woman yells, grabbing Y/n by her arm and dragging her to the living room.

"I'm calling DCS. You will be removed from this house by morning. I can't believe you're making such terrible decisions Y/n. Now, you're sleeping on the couch tonight, I don't trust you to be in the same room as that boy." She ranted, picking up the phone and dialing DCS. Y/n left the room to get the pillows from her room.

"I'm being slut-shamed by an old-woman." She laughed as she walked into the room. Jughead was sitting on his bed, head in his hands, bouncing his leg up and down.

"Y/n L/n! Get in here." She grabbed the pillows, giving Jug a final look before heading to the living room.

"Why is Ms. Sentry yelling?" Kamryn asked, poking her head out of the doorway.

"Cause I kissed Jughead." The girl made a kissy face, mocking her. She walked back into the living room, finding Ms. Sentry waiting with her arms crossed.

"Get to bed Y/n." She did as she was told and threw her pillows down on the couch.

"And you!" The old woman yelled. Y/n turned her head to see that Jughead had followed her out into the living room.

"Don't even get me started on you! Get to bed, the both of you!" Jughead turned and made a face at Y/n, before Ms. Sentry grabbed his ear and dragged him to him to his room. Within 15 minutes, the whole house was quiet and dark, and Y/n was almost asleep, toying the line between sleep and being awake. That's why when Jughead decided to creep up on her, he covered her mouth with his hand, to keep her from screaming.

"What the hell are you doing?" She whisper-yelled.

"I never got to apologize, I'm sorry. Now you have to move foster homes, and it's all my fault."

"It's not the first time. I've been moved too many times to count, it's not a big deal." Once she said that, an impulsive idea popped into his head.

"Exactly. Let's do something about it. Y/n, let's run away." Her jaw drops as the words left his mouth.

"Are you serious? Where would we even go?"

"Yes, I'm serious. We can go to my dad's trailer, it'll be just us. What do you say Y/n? Run away with me?"

"Let's do it. But we have to sneak out the window. Ms. Sentry will hear if we leave through the door." He smiled at her, pure admiration in his eyes. They packed their things, adrenaline coursing through their veins.

"Are you ready?" He whispered to her, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

"I think." She responded uncertainly.

"Hey, it's gonna be ok. We'll be free now, free to do what we want, and be with who we want. Cause, I just want to be with you." He assured her, taking her face in his hands. She nodded, and he kissed her forehead, grabbing his other bag and taking her hand, preparing for their new life.

They slid out the window effortlessly, making their way to the trailer within 20 minutes. The door was unlocked, making it even easier to enter.

"I'll take the couch." She announced as they threw their stuff down.

"Don't be dumb. You're sleeping in the bed with me." He grabbed he hand and dragged her into the room, cuddling up under the covers with her.

"Goodnight Y/n/n."

"Night Juggie."