CHAPTER II

CHAPTER II

The waves churned violently beneath the cold, hard stare of the moon, blending in with the sorrowful singing of the wind

The waves churned violently beneath the cold, hard stare of the moon, blending in with the sorrowful singing of the wind. Silhouetted against the dark sky in the distance was a ship. It thrashed about in the merciless grasp of the tides - tossing and turning furiously.

Rain pummeled down onto the deck of the swaying ship, cutting through the wooden planks. Huddled in the corner of one of the ship cabins were the queen of Rillefaene and her two daughters. Their teeth chattered in fear as they struggled to block out the constant roar of the storm and the incessant bellow of commands thrown across the deck.

The queen pulled her daughters closer to her side. The water of the sea soaked through their gowns and gnawed at their exposed skin. They could only watch in horror, afraid a scream would disrupt the paralyzing terror in their hearts. The ship cabin shuddered, trembling with the tremendous force of the crashing waves.

One of the princesses stood, her face a mixture of fright and determination. She sloshed through the rising water, peering into the dark corners for any sign of cracks or openings which could allow the water to flow through. Her tangled chestnut hair swung behind her head in thick tendrils as she continued her search, ignoring her mother's desperate pleading for her to stop. Her sister remained silent, eyes wide and lips parted in petrification.

Suddenly, the cabin door burst open and the king stepped inside, drenched and panting.

"They say the ship is going to sink," he informed his family. The seawater reached just above his knees. His wife and children waded up to him, hearts hammering against their chests.

"What are we going to do?" The first princess asked, hitching her skirts up. They were heavy, so she had trouble lifting them.

"Boats have been prepared. We are to board them immediately," the king said in a maddeningly calm voice. He gestured to the deck where the crew members were bustling about in wet tunics that clung to their bodies.

"Will the boats be able to withstand the storm?" The queen questioned, wariness lining her voice. She tugged both of her daughters into her arms.

"We will have a much higher chance of survival if we board them." Not a single hint of doubt flickered in his eyes.

"Your Majesty, the boats are ready," a man who was dressed to be the captain called out over the howling gusts of wind. The king faced his family, nodding.

With only a small glimmer of hope left within them, the queen led her daughters through the doorway, venturing out onto the cold deck. They were instantly met by a fierce torrent of rain. The droplets of water seeped through the rest of their clothing, stinging their flesh like needles.

Hanging over the side of the large ship were multiple rowing boats. They were fairly spacious and looked to be able to occupy a dozen people. A set of oars were laid out across the benches; they were already damp from the downpour.