Chapter 28- Always an option better than Worse

Start from the beginning

"I won't lie to you anymore about this, not after the way they are affecting my job here." Bryce ran a hand over his face, "Ever since I got my sister's call since New Year, I've been worried that a chaos was going to follow after her. Turns out I wasn't wrong. And now she's here with no money or support." He sighed, "Well, I'm the support but it's not like we are exactly close. I had cut them all off four years ago."

I should be really worried because when you heard the word mafia, it meant run as far as possible. They were the invisible string-pullers in world who wasted no time to gush blood and money together like a symbolic blended harmony and established their empires over almost every major city. The word itself was insignificant foremost to actual deal, where dangerous games of life and death were balanced in hands of such powerful, heinous people. When your life was already in a pit-fall of evil pharma companies and leering plastic surgeons, it was wise to steer clear them...but Bryce? Never had I ever expected to hear this from his lips.

Bryce Lahela came from a family of syndicates. It was the teratoid news of decade.

"How can I help?" I immediately suggested, "Tell me. I want to."

"Charlotte—"

"I want to." I repeated, "You're a brilliant doctor. Best of your batch. Don't let the bloody resume of your parents make scarce from your position."

He gave me a small smile and rested his large paw on my shoulder, "My sister and I are total strangers. I don't know how to deal with her...can you come over to my place sometime? It would really be good for her to talk to someone of her age."

I scoffed, "I'm twenty-two, Bryce. Not exactly a teenager."

"But you do look like a teenager." He leaned closer, "A beautiful, precious girl."

"Alright, surfer prince." I laughed it off and put distance to proximity between us, "I'll come around your place to help your sister, and then you can narrate me the rest. Although I still can't believe your parents are...you know?"

"There are things which remain hidden within us and we don't speak out of shame." Bryce dipped his chin, "This is my greatest shame. Not being removed from surgery...but my family."

"Hey." I touched his arm, giving it a gentle squeeze, "Let's not talk it now. We'll have plenty of time at your house. Now, you go and tell Dr. Tanaka that everything's fine and you are back in action."

"Charlotte, I wanted to tell—"

"Dr. Turner!"

I jumped at the voice which thundered like a cracker's doom behind me. My name never had sounded so unpromising. Withdrawing myself away from Bryce, I turned and found Ethan standing with an impassive face but eyes burning blue flames. Those eyes flickered between me and Bryce, and I purposefully took few more safe steps, saying, "Dr. Ramsey? Is something wrong?"

"I am pretty sure your patient is waiting." Ethan forced-uttered those words, "But I see you've found yourself busy in a secluded corner."

His tone generated a scowl on my face, "No, Dr. Ramsey. That's not the matter." I turned to Bryce who was glaring at Ethan as if he was one of four horsemen riding on a pale horse and bringing with him the plague, "Dr. Lahela and I are done, aren't we?"

Bryce nodded, not taking his eyes off Ethan, "We are. See you later, Dr. Turner." He stiffly hoofed out and stopped beside Ethan, gazing at him sideways, "Dr. Ramsey."

My brows were near my head at the silent exchange between them, almost as if both of them were measuring each other for reasons unknown. Bryce then gave himself a pull and padded away in a strained manner.