Chapter 19- Wilcock had it coming (mentally shrugs)

Discharging Evelyn brought relief to our department. It was as if the four of us were holding our breaths for too long and now collectively exhaled after the patient was released.

I have treated hundreds of patients and I don't remember them all. I would recall of course if they gave me some push but then there were patients like Evelyn, who was going to linger in my mind forever. As a doctor, I was to administer them and cure them of their ailments but for me, most important precept while treating a patient were the lessons I learnt. Every disease took different turns inside different bodies. You could see the signs and symptoms and yet fail to decipher the curse hiding within. You need to understand and make it to your head that not everything could be solved by mere blink of eyes (although Ethan would be an exception). Hence, every case taught me something. Sometimes related to my job, sometimes related to this world and sometimes trying to make me better than I was before.

When I went back to the apartment after my shift, Aurora was in the middle of explaining— most probably her new change of work coordinates to my roomies. She paused briefly, looking in my direction and I waved her away, telling her to continue while I went to my room to freshen up.

"Well, crap." I mused, glaring at my broken geyser. No hot water for me today then.

I showered in ice-cold water, shivering from head to toe and tried jumping on the wet floor to get the blood running. Cold or not, there was not a single day when I didn't take bath. I took personal hygiene rather too seriously. My glitter shampoo was dangerously degrading to this end limit which meant the day off was going to be spent shopping.

Yay?

After changing into boy shorts and a turtleneck tops, I walked to the living room where three dumbstruck faces charged at Aurora. Sienna was the first one to recover at my arrival,

"Well, that's darn good, Aurora. I mean Mass Kenmore's no Edenbrook but still."

"I heard their Diagnostic Department is bit shaky." Jackie inspected her fingernails, "They'll do better now that you're going."

Aurora faintly smiled, "I got my transfer letters signed today. Gonna start from tomorrow. And don't expect me to evict this flat. I am staying."

"We should celebrate." Elijah grinned, "Get ourselves some drinks and food."

I rummaged through the fridge, looking for a cola can but my ill-luck struck again and there weren't any. Glaring at the rectangular three-star claiming piece of iron-alloyed crap, I settled for a coffee and said, "We will. It's been a while since we've all been out. When was the last time us rommies emptied our pockets?"

"That Italian restaurant. Bryce, Rafael and..." Jackie pursed her lips, "....Landry joined us in."

I said nothing and stared at the swirling coffee.

Aurora on the other hand had a lot to say and ask, "Sooooo can we please talk about Landry?"

My head whipped up in her direction while Elijah shook his head, "We don't discuss He-who-shall-not-be named."

"Okay, and I totally respect that but considering I live in the room of an aspiring to-be killer...you know?" Aurora rited the words with caution as if she didn't want to stir a forgoing vexation upon her.

All eyes trained on me and I simply shrugged. He wasn't here. He wasn't here at all.

"Landry is in jail." Sienna bit the words with vehemence, "His medical license is suspended. Even if it's not a decade long, he surely is going to see next three years behind the bars. And then, has to decide a new career."

Open Heart: Second Year {On Halt}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें