Chapter 1- Rhythm Of Water

"How many minutes till midnight!" Sienna exclaimed from her seat.

The clock started ticking down and began draining away the last moments left. I watched it from where it was hung above on a pillar of Donohue's rooftop outlet. I watched it in rather too focused manner with my fists clenched underneath the table so that nobody could see my knuckled-white grip on the skirt of my floral dress. I wanted my eyes solely on the clock, nowhere else...especially not to the man who was visible over Elijah's shoulder. Because the next moment, he was gone.

We weren't alone on the outlet because it was a tradition for almost all the upcoming residents to celebrate their mere last moments of a difficult intern year by drinking it away. The same was with my group, while I never drank alcohol, being surrounded by my crazy company was enough.

The sky was clear tonight, constellations visible with some bright points of stars at an unimaginable distance. A strange comfort radiated from the black canvas above which was painted in the silver dots in a most beautiful way. We were incomparable to the vast expanse of the universe but it never forgot to show its true infinite elegance before our eyes.

The air was chilly as expected at the beginning of January . The scent of blooming flowers in the parks and gardens filled till this level, unfazed by the smell of drinks, smoke and sweat wafting below. Trees were engrossed with a colourful shades which was difficult to make at night but no doubt, attractive. While it was relatively quiet in the city, it was just beginning here at Donohue's.

The second hand swept up, bringing the countdown to mere seconds. I tried to push my mind back to remember some memories up but was met with a strong affirm wall which said now was not the time. Perhaps later it will be.

Tick..tick...tick

"Midnight!" I shouted.

Elijah raised his fist up in a punch, "Yeah! We did it! Intern year is officially over!"

"Good riddance. I am sure we are gonna have more this time. I can't help to torture some interns of my own." Jackie grinned. I shook my head and smiled privately to myself. Takes a doctor like Jackie to find the meanest business of being a new resident. My grip on the dress lessened as I found the absence of any other soul in the rooftop. It was short lived of course.

Bryce crossed the threshold from the door and dropped near us, putting the plethora of drinks he had brought for our group. The amber coloured whiskeys which my friends loved contrasted with the light coloured vigour I had unwontedly started to prefer. It never made me forget but rather it made me remember. I only had the cognizance to hold on to now.

"Looks like I am on right time, as always." Bryce grinned and whooped out a drink in his hand. The bright yellow lights which were hung decoratively all around like a fake sky of fairy lights casted a pleasant hued shade on his handsome face. His eyes scanned all of our faces until they stopped on mine. They were dark coloured yet they were kind. I found myself smiling at him even though somewhere deep down a voice was screaming that Bryce had the right to worry about me. His simple maroon coloured shit was stretched perfectly to his muscular figure and Sienna and Jackie couldn't keep their eyes off him.

"Is that Dr. Pepper again?" he shot a grimacing look at my drink, "Please don't say that."

I chuckled and leaned forward to take the drink, "No its not. Its...sort of a secret drink. Non-alcoholic."

"Don't worry, Charlotte." Jackie draped an arm over my shoulder, "By the end of our first week as Second Year Residents, she will be kissing the alley floor behind."

"Oh yes!" Bryce smiled, plopping himself next to me and invading me with a sniff of strong cologne, "I would like to see the Junior Fellow of Diagnostics Department doing that."