#006

Damien entered his house to find it quiet. His parents weren't home and that meant it was time for a sad movie marathon. He needed an outlet for his emotions and he preferred it not to be about how he had a crush on Shayne. He didn't want to admit he was falling for an unobtainable boy with unobtainable muscle definition and an unobtainable popularity for a gay nerd like himself to ever acquire. Damien wanted to enjoy his shitty life by crying over Love, Simon for the seventy-sixth time rather than cry over his feelings. His feelings weren't important to him, he just needed to graduate.

 He needed to escape the mediocrity of Garfield High School and enter the perceived beauty of a university. The ivy covered walls and the permanent freedom of living alone were just a dream, obtainable but ever so far away. Going to quaint cafes lining the outskirts of campus with his roommate, who he had started dating a couple of months prior, was just an ideal situation. It wouldn't happen. Sipping a cappuccino with Olivia and Mari in the breaks between semester and catching up in the light snowfall was a dream. Damien sighed, not wanting to focus on his future, Love, Simon was far more important. He pressed play and started to watch it, sprawled on the sofa. 

Halfway through the movie, Damien's phone buzzed. It had vibrated multiple times before but this was the last straw. He picked up his phone to mute it to find four missed calls, and eleven notifications from Mari, Olivia, their collective group chat and Shayne. He groaned, and checked his messages with Mari.

Oh Mari

Hey Dames. 
Dames are you alright?
Please respond, I want to make sure you're okay <3

I'm fine, let me wallow in self pity watching Love, Simon

Oh you're alive, thank god

Damien then went to check on Olivia's messages, wanting to reassure her in case she thought it was her fault. Olivia was always paranoid about everything negative that happened in their friend group and so Damien was not surprised to see six messages from the petite girl.

Oh Olivia

Omg
I

'm so sorry

This is all my fault

I'm sorry

I'm really really sorry

I love you, dude. Please be safe <3

This isn't your fault. Don't apologise 

Are you okay?

I'm fine <3

Damien groaned, not realising how much of the movie he missed, and set it back about 5 minutes. Granted, he knew what happened, but he needed something to get his mind off from talking to people, especially if it was in a group. 

His phone buzzed again, again from Shayne. He was torn on checking to talk. He was sure Shayne didn't have ill intent in trying to talk, but there was a chance, although marginal, that Shayne was offended. They had hardly talked, but he did say that he did want to talk at another point, even before the incident. He sighed and opened the app to talk to Shayne.

Shayne

I'm sorry about earlier if I freaked you out.
It wasn't a good idea for me and Courtney to sit with you
If you still want, I'd quite like to the 20 questions :)

You don't need to apologise, Courtney and Olivia are friends of course it was a good idea to sit there. I overreacted.

It's not overreacting to feel uncomfortable but we're not going to hate you for being gay.

I know, I just panicked. But, I'd be okay doing twenty questions

Yay! Question 1: plans in the future (there's no point doing what's your name)

Well, I want to go to a University and learn Video Production.

That's really cool, I was planning on doing psychology. Question 2?

Nope, one question each day. I want a reason to be able to talk to you.

What about the reason that we're friends?

Who said we were friends?

Wow

It was a joke. I just want to think that people are going to stay. I don't like when people leave

That's a good point. I'll talk to you tomorrow?

Definitely :)

Authors Note

I'm still alive and if you're reading this you are too (thank god). I hope you all enjoyed this chapter but considering Hamilton and Frozen 2 are on Disney+, it's probably meaningless compared to the rest of your day. 💛💚💙

-J