#001

Friday October 23rd. The first day of Scorpio season and a day Damien Haas would never forget. Hundreds of students crammed into Courtney Miller's house for a Halloween party, and for once, Damien was one of them. Granted, he sat in a corner with only the sounds of drunken girls singing along to Whitney Houston and Katy Perry and the scent of cheap beer to keep him company. His two friends, Mari and Olivia, had already left the party, getting bored of waiting to see who would black-out first. 

Unsurprisingly it was Mason, star quarterback and the most intrusive idiot of Garfield High School. His face and torso was littered with phallic images and Damien couldn't help but laugh at the defenceless boy. Mason was always paired with Damien for projects, and so Damien had twice the work of most people. The only other people who could relate were Mari and Olivia, who also got paired with the air-headed jocks. The teachers didn't want to affect the most athletic student's GPA and so they relied on the nerds to do their work, clean their shoes with their tongue, anything to appease the well-paying parents.

Groups started to file out after a while, the drunken shrieks of Firework having died down but the odour of the Bud Light's had not. The winners of the costume competition were announced, with an unsurprising victory going to Shayne Topp, the linebacker dressed in full drag that Courtney was most definitely proud of  - she always had been phenomenal at make up. Shayne had came out as bisexual years ago and was more popular for it. Closeted gays and sexually deprived girls were falling onto their knees for him to date but he rarely did. He dated Courtney for a year, but they split up after realising that it wasn't properly working.

Damien was more than happy to cheer for the result, it was the first time he had actually seen one of Shayne's outfits and  he was so glad that he finally did. He looked stunning in drag. Seas of students had headed for the door after the result, leaving only a handful of students. Shayne and Courtney had exchanged goodbyes and so only unconscious students, and those having sex in a bedroom or bathroom were left with Courtney and Damien. He headed over to Courtney, who was now leaning over and picking up red solo cups and empty cans of Bud Light. Damien instantly squatted down and helped.

"What are you doing? Do I know you?" Courtney asked, worried about the person who suddenly appeared in front of him.

"Oh, I'm Damien, I thought you needed some help."

"Hey, it's fine, my parents aren't going to be home for a while so I can clean it up without any issue. You can go home." She responded, voice laced with drowsiness.

"Are you sure? I still have about 10 minutes before I need to leave to meet curfew." Damien asked, not wanting the popular girl to struggle with cleaning for an hour.

"Yeah, it's fine. Have a good one, and thanks for offering."

"No problem, thanks for the party. You did great with Shayne's make-up." He said, heading to the door. 

"Thanks, bye." She replied, as cheerily as her tired vocal chords could.

Damien needed to head home. He couldn't walk, leaving his car there would mean it gets towed, but driving would mean getting pulled over because of cops assuming an 18 year old heading home late would be drunk. Sometimes, a sacrifice had to be made and getting a strict warning by his parents would be better than having to walk for two hours to retrieve his car. He plugged the key into the ignition, twisted and the car's engine sprung to live. 

The drive wasn't long, roads were emptied after getting out the cul-de-sac. Damien even arrived home without getting pulled over, meaning he didn't even get a complaint from his parents. He went to the kitchen, pulled out a microwavable lasagne from the freezer and left it for 14 minutes. It was great, considering the last microwaved meal he had, spaghetti with meatballs, was hard and cold. 

"Right mom, I'm going to go to bed, I'll see you tomorrow." Damien said, crooking his head to his left, observing two lumps snuggled into each other. His heart warmed, he loved to see his family happy. At least someone he cared for was happy in a relationship, he always told himself. People knew Damien didn't date, he hadn't since fourth grade, but they never knew why. They thought he had impossibly high standards, which was true in a sense. Nobody who asked him out was his type; nobody was a guy. 

Damien laid in his bed, scrolling slowly through Instagram, absentmindedly liking posts from the people he followed, casually swiping through people's stories and checking his messages, usually from only two people, Mari and Olivia but on another app was a third message, which he opted to ignore for now; Mari and Olivia were far more important than a drunk girl trying to get their friend who was responsible enough to not drink. 

Both girls messages were similar things, checking if he got home safe, and if he found out who blacked out first. Neither were surprised with his response and the group exchanged farewells so they could all sleep. Damien, however, could not sleep. Bored out of his mind, he clicked his third notification and was surprised to see it wasn't a drunken girl. It was Shayne Topp.

Authors Note

Hi all, thank you for reading the first chapter of Unsolicited. I thoroughly hoped you enjoyed it.

Why is Shayne messaging Damien?

Will the next chapter actually involve messaging like the welcome suggests?

Is Courtney going to respect Damien for his help?

Some of those questions may be answered in the next chapter, but until then, I hope you enjoyed Unsolicited, a Shaymien Fanfic.

- J