Chapter Fifty Nine

***Yes I awkwardly photoshopped them into this background. The original screen grab came from a scene in Liv's apartment and her apartment isn't quite as open and airy as I picture Rafael and Katherine's place. Not that it really matters considering I typically find a picture close enough and call it good. I decided to play with this one and while it isn't great, it turned out better than expected so I went with it.***

"Katherine?"

He had originally decided not to say anything. It had been a few months since their anniversary and she hadn't brought up babies, or the fact that she wasn't pregnant, but her breathy voice kept reverberating in his mind.

Katherine pulled a shopping bag from the table, dumping its contents on the counter as she clipped the tags from MJ's new clothes. "Yes."

"What's all that?" Rafael exhaled through his nose as he lost his nerve. He should have brought it up closer to when she'd actually said it.

"MJ and I went shopping, I think she's going through another growth spurt."

"Does she need new uniforms?"

Katherine shook her head. "No I bought them a little big last time, they should last her until summer get here, I'll reassess for the fall."

Rafael stared at the counter as he nodded. "Katherine."

She eyed him humorously, "yes."

"Did you... do you..." he paused, kicking himself for thinking he could just wing the conversation, changing his mind again. "Have you heard from Davis?"

"Not since the social workers home visit in early January."

"I'll call her tomorrow, check on the status of everything."

Katherine's shoulders dropped as she slowed the motion of scissors clipping plastic fasteners. "Do you think there's a problem?"

He had seemed anxious, but only because he kept chickening out of asking her about wanting a baby. He didn't want to put pressure where there didn't need to be any. He honestly wasn't concerned about the adoption. "No."

"You're sure?"

He smiled and took her hand. "I just want to touch base with Davis, getting a feel of where we are."

"That's all?"

"I promise." He smirked.

Katherine watched her mother scrutinize the pattern of the granite kitchen countertops.

"What do you think?"

"It's ok... not ideal." Natalie didn't make eye contact with Sandy, the realtor that was standing close enough to hear every word.

Katherine furrowed her brow when her mom dug a marble out of her purse, setting it on the counter. "What are you doing now?"

"Checking that it's level."

She said this as though it were a completely normal thing to do and Katherine closed her eyes, exhaling a quiet breath as she realized this was the first of many apartments they'd planned to look at over the week.

The marble didn't roll, and Natalie slipped it back in her purse, venturing down a hall without the realtor's prompting in search of the bedrooms. Katherine was about to follow when her mother abruptly appeared again.

"Absolutely not."

"What's wrong?"

Natalie huffed and motioned to the door she'd just exited. "The bathroom's yellow."