Chapter Eighteen

"Ms. Morgan, it's really starting to come down out there." Diego, one of Katherines students said as he looked out the window.

Katherine, who wasn't far from the student leaned over to look out the window as well. "That must be why they announced an early release." She smiled, and shooed him back to his desk.

"You think noon is early enough?" Lauren asked.

"I'm sure it will be. Do you have to travel a long distance to get home?" Katherine questioned.

"No. My mom and I walk, it's only a few blocks."

"Then why are you so concerned about whether noon is soon enough?" Katherine chuckled.

"Other students have to travel further than me." Lauren smiled and while Katherine was pretty sure that reason had just come to her student she returned her smile.

"Who's Rafael?" River asked, holding up her phone.

"Jeez you kids are nosy." Katherine smirked, taking the phone from River.

Normally she wouldn't answer her phone in the middle of class, but with the weather she decided to make an exception.

"Hey Raf." She answered, chuckling when her class filled the room with an ooooh sound.

"Is that your class." He questioned, chuckling as well.

"Yes and they're about to get a snow related science assignment to complete while schools cancelled." Her class quickly quieted down and returned to the classwork they were working on.

"School is cancelled then?"

"At least for tomorrow, we're dismissing at noon. I'll get a little work done once my students are picked up and head home after that." Katherine said, glancing at how messy her room had gotten over the last few weeks. She could barely even see her desk anymore.

"Courts been postponed as well, and my car service quit running thirty minutes ago."

"Is it that bad out there?" Katherine moved to look out the window again.

"It is."

"Ms. Morgan." The secretary called through the intercom.

"Yes."

"Can you send Cassie down. Her mother is here."

"Sure. Cassie, clean up your desk before you get your backpack, oh and don't forget..."

"My discipline folder... I know." Cassie muttered.

"If it's not signed when you get back I will call your mom."

"I'll get her to sign it."

"And Cassie..."

"Yes." Cassie grumbled.

"Have a little fun on your snow day." Katherine smiled.

Cassie smiled and gave her a hug on her way to grab her backpack.

"Can I go to your place after I leave here? If the roads are that bad I don't want to risk a cab to mine." Rafael's voice drew her back to the phone.

"That's fine. If you beat me there, use your key."

"Can I go to the restroom?" MJ asked.

"Go quickly, we're getting ready to pack up in five minutes."

"I can wait." MJ muttered.

"MJ go to the restroom, just don't stop and wave to Ms. Winter's class on the way." Katherine chuckled.