Capitulo 14

Beckham POV

Beckham POV

I closed the door back to my bedroom after dropping Jayce-Lynn off in the bed next to Lennox. She was fast asleep when the nice lady the little girl affectionately refers to as Nana April dropped her off. Since Lennox was still asleep as well, I just laid her down in the bed next to her sister. It's more than large enough to accommodate both of them.

My phone began to vibrate, I pulled it out of my pocket as I walked down the long hallway to my home office. "Hello?"

"Beckham. How's Lennox doing?" I recognized my father's voice through the receiver.

He has been handling Lennox's case. Well, not personally but he's paying for her lawyers and plays golf with the police chief's (of LA) brother-in-law. So he is working his connections trying to make sure she receives justice.

"As good as one can hope I guess.." I shrugged my shoulders. I can't exactly come out and tell him she's riddled with PTSD, spiraling downwards due to her horrible coping skills.

"Look, there's no easy way to say this but I wanted you to hear it from me. There will be a press conference later this afternoon announcing the news; Officer Johnson isn't getting charged. He was fired, he lost his pension, but the DA has decided not to press charges."

I sat down in my desk letting out a frustrated sigh, running my hand over my face. "How the fuck am I supposed tell Lennox that?! The man who assaulted her gets to move on with his life like nothing happened?"

"Beckham this partially your fault. You did assault an officer least you forget. You're lucky the DA isn't charging you."

"His ass got exactly what he deserved. But Lennox isn't, she deserves better than this. Do you know that she hasn't slept since it happened?!" I paused lowering my voice a little, "She has nightmares about it. Every single night."

"God your privilege is showing." It was as if I could hear my father shaking his head through the phone, "I hate to be this blunt but Lennox isn't dead. She didn't sustain any significant injuries. Fired is the most she can hope for. Black people have been murdered by police officers and their killers are still working the beat. Get a grip on fucking reality, Beckham! This is the best case scenario for her."

I slammed my hand down on the desk in frustration. "It's not fair."

"Life isn't fair, you think you'd know that by now, you bloody little brat." He stated before hanging up the phone.

I know he's right to a certain extent. Things are different for Lennox than they are for people who look like me. That officer was never going to get charged. There are Black people who still have their killers working as cops. But I can't tell Lennox what's happening, not right now. She can't handle it. She had a nightmare last night and went off to fuck some random dude. This is so much bigger than that, there's no telling how she'll react. What crazy thing it'll drive her to do to avoid confronting her feelings.