𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

"how are you guys? i miss you." i wave at my phone. "we miss you so much, so sad you couldn't be here with us!" riley and nat frown. "i know i know, maybe next year?" i also frown. "how's maddy? let me see her!" natalie squeals over the phone. i nod and get up to go to my room. "madeline, your friends want to say hi!" i put my phone in front of her. "it's natty and rylie!" she grabs my phone and walks out of the room.

"okay then." i laugh and turn to see mason laying on our bed. "what's up with them?" he asks and i lay down next to him. "nothing, they're just telling me about spain." i say putting my head on his shoulder. i stare at the tv while he switches through channels. "you know we can go on our own trip right?" he starts to caress my hair. "yes but it's not the same. spain was our thing... a girls trip thing."

i really really wanted to go with them but i had maddy and i just couldn't go anymore. nat and riley said they didn't want to go anymore because it wouldn't be the same without me but i convinced them to go anyways. just because my life was on hold doesn't mean theirs should be too.

i don't really talk to them as much but we'll always be besties for life. we're just different people now. it sucks but it is what it is.

"where would you want to go? besides spain, where would you want to be right now?" he asks and i don't hesitate to answer. "i've always wanted to go to greece." i look up at him. "then let's go." mason sits up making me sit up. "what?"

"i mean not right now obviously but let's save up and just go." he smiles getting excited. "really? we can do that? just go and leave?" the naïve part of me also gets excited. i was always one to just get up and leave something whenever i wanted to. like when my parents got divorced, i left and went to my dads. but this was different, i can pack my bags and finally leave washington with my daughter and love of my life by my side. except i couldn't, this isn't a movie. i have my internship and potential job here, my school is here, my dad is here, everything i've ever known is here. i couldn't be naïve anymore, i had to be realistic.

"sure!" i say matching his excitement even though deep down i was doubting it. he kisses me right away and i break the kiss by laughing. "i feel like we haven't done this in a while." mason kisses my cheek then my neck. "that's because maddy likes to ruin the moment." i wrap my arms around him as we continue to kiss. this lasts for a good ten seconds before my baby runs back into the room with my phone.

"they said bye bye." she holds my phone up. i move to the end of the bed to pick her up. "do you want to go play at the park?" i ask playing with her hair. "yes! yes! yes!" she gets excited and starts to squirm out of my hands. "want to invite grandpa?" i ask getting another excited response.

i look over to mason. "want to join?" i ask him. "i'll stay here and get started on dinner." he gets up and stretches. "can't wait." i pick up maddy and kiss mason one more time before we go upstairs to her room. "it's a little cold outside, we need a jacket. which one?" i hold her close to the closet and watch her tiny arm reach out towards her black peacoat.

i grab it then sit her on the floor. "you are so beautiful." i kiss her tiny nose. it's crazy, i have a mini me. who would've known. sometimes we have staring contests because i really don't get how i gave birth to this tiny human.

i slide her coat on and button it up, then i grab her little boots and slip her feet into them.

"you're ready! let's go get grandpa." she lifts her arms up, basically asking for me to pick her up. "why can't you carry me?" i joke, picking her up. i walk upstairs with her on my hip, calling out my dads name.

he comes out of his room and she tries to get out of my grip. i let go of her and she runs to my dad. "we're going to the park!" she tells him and he gasps. "can i come?" he plays along. "yes!" maddy hugs him. i just watch them interact.