10: Jailbreak

They went over the basics over the next few days. Nys cut all the dresses differently. One at the knees, one angled down from the front to the back, one angled from the side, one just angled all over the place.

It was obvious she was trying to bug him, but she left the green and gold one untouched.

They practiced with both forms of weapons, and eventually dual wielding. Nyssa was pretty decent with both swords for someone who had only had them for less than a week.

At one point, she even managed to disarm one of his daggers. However, in that maneuver, she left her guard down and the next they knew, Loki was holding his other knife to her throat.

"Good," he said, breathing heavily. "So do you know what your mistake was this time?"

"Letting you teach me," she shot immediately with a laugh. "Kidding. I..."

A loud rumble cut her off. Loki checked to be sure she and the weapons were hidden. He stepped tentatively to the window. She followed him, sheathing the swords. Several rumbles and bangs echoed down the corridor. A crowd of people began running towards the exit.

"Impossible..." Loki muttered. "How'd they get out?"

Nyssa shrugged. "Maybe you can ask them," she whispered.

A huge dark humanoid figure in dark armor decorated with horns was walking with an air of superiority down the hall. He stopped in front of a cell full of Vanaheim's assailants. For a moment, he stood there, sizing them up, before punching the gold-edged wall. It flickered and vanished.

"He...he's breaking them all out!" Loki whispered, his voice teetering between horror and excitement.

"Well, that's bad," Nyssa whispered. "Those guys are actually there for being threats. We don't want them loose."

The creature stepped up towards their cell. Loki eyed him in foreboding anticipation. For a moment, they just shared analytical looks. Then the creature seemed to decide Loki wasn't worth it. He turned away and left.

"Well, that's bad," Loki said, the smallest edge of concern in his voice. "That staircase leads to the shield generator."

Nyssa yawned. "Oh look, the cavalry has arrived." A bunch of Asgardian warriors had appeared and begun trying to subdue the riot.

Loki picked up a book and sat down against the wall. "Well, this doesn't seem to concern us," he said, right as a flying body collided with the wall right by his face.

"You silly goose," Nys chuckled, fumbling with the straps for her wristlets. She got the armor off and tucked it in the corner right as Thor appeared.

"Oh, dear," Loki monotoned. "Well, that's the end of that, now that the mighty Thor has arrived."

Nyssa snorted. "Leave it to you to be super calm about a jailbreak outside your window."

Loki shrugged. "Well, it's just what it is. Have you read this story before? It's quite interesting."

The battle outside began raging louder.

"No, I'm afraid I was not well acquainted with Asgardian literature," Nyssa replied, mirroring his formally calm tone.

"Well, this is actually from your world. A story by some...Suzanne Collins?"

"Oh, the Hunger Games?"

He looked at the spine. "Ah, yes. Is it any good?"

She shrugged. "I enjoyed it. I'm not overly fond of the narrative perspective, but the first person present viewpoint, while uncommon, does a very good job grounding the story in the chaotic dystopian horror world."