4: Stories

Disclaimer: Nyssa is based on a friend of mine.  Her opinions are quoted here.  If you don't agree, that's fine.  Twilight fans may be offended.  You have been warned.  Also contains spoilers for Harry Potter.  I do not own these stories.  I only own Nyssa.  And technically as she is based on a real person, I don't own her either...

"Well, this is going to be a long time," Nyssa said, breaking the silence that had held for hours.

"What do you mean?"

She flopped dramatically backward onto the bed. "Well, you're really withdrawn and I'm pretty extroverted. I will get bored very quickly in lasting silence."

Loki gestured to the corner. "There are books over there."

"Loki,"

"Yes, Bell?"

She rolled her eyes. "I can't read...whatever language that is. And I told you not to call me Bell or Bella or the like."

"Oh, I know. I just thought it might spark a bit of conversation, ranting, or otherwise. You mentioned the name being used in some stories. Would you like to tell me those stories?"

She gave him a somewhat amused and approving look. "You want to hear fiction from earth? Doesn't your reality far surpass much of what lowly earthen authors could concoct?

Loki shrugged. "Possibly, but it would be different, and therefore interesting."

"Eh...that's only true sometimes. But ok. I'll start with the bad one. Twilight. Once upon a time..."

Loki stopped her halfway through the plot of the first book. "I'm sorry, I just...this is painful. This...pathetic excuse for a story is popular in your world?"

Nyssa nodded.

"Hmm, you Midgardians are more pathetic than I realized."

"To be fair, it's mainly popular among immature teen girls. Those of us who appreciate good literature look down on them. They are generally accepted as painful. But you did ask."

"And I regret it. Is your other story any good?"

"Well, it isn't mine, it's seven books, and yes. It is good."

"Then I would love to hear it. You're a good storyteller."

"I'm flattered. Ok. This takes place in a world of magic..."

They were highly enjoyable stories. Loki was impressed with her ability to tell a story in such intricate detail, especially one that she probably hadn't read in a while. He would say she had a strong memory except...well, you know.

It took her a couple of days to get through the whole saga, but neither of them really needed sleep.

Loki was exceptionally fond of the Weasley twins, given their mischievous nature. So naturally, he was devastated near the beginning and end of the 7th book. At that point, he got up, dramatically flinging his arms up.

"I thought you said this was a good story! I feel betrayed!"

She smiled. "Good stories all have sad moments. You can't argue with that."

"Yes you can," he retorted. "I would love a story where the main character just lived happily ever after."

Nyssa glared at him. "No, you wouldn't. There has to be a struggle or it's not worth it."

Loki rolled his eyes. "Well, fine. But of all the characters to die...did it have to be my favorite one?"

"Because that makes it more tragic. Duh!" She smirked. "I never would have pegged you for someone to get overly attached to fictional characters."