"You won't find a better manager than Jixo. He's equally nice to both his Plutonian and human employees and the pay is somewhat fair as well." 

"Do you know who owns the place? The boss?" I ask her softly.

"Nope, none of us do. By the way, I placed your object and wrote your request to S," She whispers and my body stills. 

"And?"

"I went in the next day and it was gone, replaced by a date. Today's date," She turns to look at me. "And I was the only one who had access to the freezer these past two days."

My eyes widen and my fingers tighten around the glass I am holding. "It can't be a coincidence that the date written by S is the date I joined for work."

"Definitely not. We'll check later before our shift ends."

We spend the rest of the day cleaning glasses, plates and the floors before the club opens. Once the doors open to guests, Rosie and a few others start serving the customers at the bar. I mostly observe and watch them since it is technically my first day.  

Rosie quickly shoos me into the kitchen when a couple of Plutonians recognize me and stare my way in shock. I sit inside silently, waiting for her to finish and she leaves when Matt takes over.

"Come on," She says and I follow her through the kitchen doors to the back. We walk through the dark pathway and she hands me the same drink Matt gave me before. I gulp it down quickly and follow her inside the chilly freezer. 

She shuts the door behind her and we both rush to the far end of the chamber. I bend down and search the floor near the wall, under the hanging piece of meat. My breath catches in my throat when I see a small package, camouflaged as the same color as the ice. 

I reach out to take it but Rosie stops me. 

"Wait there's a message next to it." She angles her head and leans under the meat to read it. 

"What does it say?" I ask her excitedly but she doesn't reply, instead she leans back looking confused. 

I bend forward impatiently and read the words drawn into the ice. 

Life as you know it is not real. It is all an experiment. The eyes are watching, observing. Can all of us live together like this? Can we really assimilate? File no: GE-18. Project Earth.

-S 

My eyebrows knit together in the tightest frown and I grab the bag. I look into it and my body freezes like the ice around us. 

S did it. They managed to replicate Lucian's fingerprints. 

"I think S wants you to look into that file," Rosie murmurs and my fingers clasp around the small gadget. It is shaped like a small cap, made to fit around my index finger. 

"Everything is just an experiment? What could that mean?" I ask her and she shakes her head, looking equally confused. 

"Beats me. Hopefully that file might enlighten us. I will ask Matt to check it out as well."

We erase the message and leave the freezer. I quickly place the invaluable item in my bag before heading home. I can't wait to use it.

The moment I walk into Lucian's room I am bombarded with a barrage of questions. 

"Why didn't you answer your communicator? What were you doing working at Onyx? Why were you there so late?" Lucian asks me angrily as he looks up from his files. He is sitting at his study table with numerous files scattered all over its surface.

"You called me?" I ask him in shock. I take out my device and switch it on. I bite my lip when I see more than fifteen missed calls from him. "Sorry, it was switched off."

Lucian sucks in a breath and pinches the bridge of his nose, looking like he's trying his best to keep calm. 

"Please tell me you didn't apply for a job as a waitress or bartender at Onyx. Aria, do you know how embarrassing that is for me? My lover shouldn't have to work anywhere!"

"I know. I know. I wanted to tell you but I was afraid that your reaction would be something like this," I walk up to him cautiously and he snaps his file shut before I reach him. 

He stands up and I wrap my arms around his waist gingerly, hoping some affection will calm him down. 

"I just need some time with my friends. I missed them. Working there will be good for me," I say into his chest and he suddenly deflates like a balloon.

"You're not playing fair," He grumbles as he hugs me back slowly. "You should have just told me  you wanted to spend time with your human friends. I can arrange it easily. Want do you want? The theme park? The cinema? I'll buy the entire shopping square for you to hang out there with them undisturbed."

I laugh softly and inhale his addictive scent. "I don't want any of that. Lucian, please I only need to work there once in awhile, when they need me. I promise to stay in the kitchens, out of sight. Besides, I won't be working at the bar. I will be handling the meat."

"A meat handler? This just keeps getting better and better," He sighs. He releases me and looks at my face. "Why would you ever consider such a job?"

"I wanted something with flexible hours and it really isn't that bad. It will be good for me to occupy myself when you are busy. I'd rather work there than follow Remulus to bars, you know?" I eye him cheekily. 

"He asked you to accompany him drinking?" Lucian's eyes narrow to slits. 

"To be his wing man. But I can't really handle my alcohol--"

"Okay, fine. Work with the damn meat. But your job as an officer comes first. The meat will have to wait if we have a mission," He finally gives up. He holds my hand and pulls me towards the washroom. "I'm in need of a shower and you'd better join me if you don't want anymore fights about this."

My lips curve into a smile and I follow him eagerly. We make up for the past week by making out  passionately under the pouring water. Once we are semi dry, he carries me to the bed and we make love till we fall asleep in exhaustion. 

My dreams are restless, I keep seeing the slave quarters and Mira and the others. When morning comes I pretend to have a headache and Lucian tells me to rest. He says that his squad doesn't have much to do today besides regular training so I can come in when I feel better. 

He kisses my forehead and leaves for work. Once the door shuts I sit up slowly and wait for a few minutes. I get up and take the finger pad from my bag and then slip it on my finger. 

I then walk to Lucian's table and search for the depression in the center. My finger falls into it and suddenly the screen comes to life before me. My heart beats incessantly in my chest as I stare at the various folders on the screen. 

I remember where the file Project Earth was located from the time I used Cyscus's device so I quickly open it and then search for the file named GE-18. My fingers tremble as I scroll down and I gasp softly when I see it. 

I cast a nervous glance at the door to Lucian's room and then finally click on the file.

Ahh can't wait for you guys to find out what is in the file. Any guesses?