Chapter 7

There are only the three of us to be presented tonight so once the formalities are over the hall falls silent waiting for our introductions. I'm to be presented last and I stand by the side of the podium, hidden behind dark curtains I want to sink into.

My skin feels dirty all over as I watch Stela smile and prance around the stage whilst a heavily decked moderator lists her various attributes and her aspirations.

According to the script, she is adventurous, passionate and lives to please. When she is done the room fills with a satisfied applause and I swallow the disgust that has inched its way up my throat.

I tune out Cassandra's introduction simply because I can't take any more of this fallacy. The scripts are obviously out of our control because the look of surprise on Cassandra's face during her introduction is much more apparent than Stela's flighty catwalk.

She smiles shyly and hurries off the stage as soon as the moderator has finished. When she squeezes my hand I am brought back to reality. The tall silver haired moderator who wears purple eye liner all the way up to her ears nods at me and I know it's my turn now.

My feet stay rooted in place even after she starts the build up to my presentation. I blink profusely willing myself to move but I somehow can't stomach the fact that I will be thrown to the wolves tonight to be bargained and bid over.

I didn't sign up for this and if I had known that I would be in this position I might have chosen to remain a slave.

The thought of a Plutonian touching me feels absurd. I am a fighter, why do I have to impress them? How am I supposed to seduce someone I loathe with all my being?

The hall falls silent and I realize that the moderator is waiting for me to walk onto the stage. She glares at me but I stay in place staring at her with blank eyes.

That is until I am pushed on to the stage from someone behind who curses into my ear.

The crowd erupts in applause and my vision is flooded with blinding yellow lights. I walk clumsily to what feels like the centre and bow awkwardly. I grit my teeth and try to smile as I am introduced by lies.

"And last but not least, we have Aria, seven two zero three who doesn't need any introduction after her performance today in the pits. Aria is determined as much as she is beautiful. A wild rose with thorns that sting if you get too close. She aspires to join the army and with a fighting spirit like hers I'm putting my money on this one."

The room fills with laughter and I bring my hands to my sides trying not to seem so out of place.

"Turn around, Aria," She instructs and I do as practised during rehearsal.

I twirl in place slowly and bring my hair over my shoulder so that my back is in full view. Numerous audible gasps fill the room and I squeeze my eyes shut and try to hold it together. I have always felt that my back is hideous with it's patched up skin and now I'm exposing it for everyone to see.

The room falls silent but every now and then I hear a loud sigh of appreciation. When I am done I bow before the crowd, surprised at the standing ovation I have gotten. I dig my nails into my palms as I walk off the stage, feeling raw like I have exposed more than just my bare back.

Once I am off, I join Stela and Cassandra at the foot of the stage and we wait for further instructions from the coordinator.

"For someone who hated them so much just a few years ago, you were pretty convincing up there," Stela berates and crosses her arms over each other like a child.

I lean against the wall and look up at the ceiling lights that have begun to merge. There is a dull ache in my side and I feel like I am swimming. Are my feet really on the ground?