Chapter 26

I keep my steps light as I sneak out of our human quarters to be picked up by Lucian's chauffeur. Usually he just waits idly by the corner of the building where he picks me up but tonight I feel more cautious because of the rumors that have been going around about me. 

I make sure there are no humans idling by the entrance as I make a dash for the corner and past the glider till I am out of sight. 

I catch Lucian's chauffeur giving me a puzzled look and nod for him to follow suit. He brings the glider around the corner and I quickly scuttle in. 

"Is everything alright, mistress Aria," He addresses me which is a rare thing because we hardly ever speak but today the word mistress feels like a slap to my face and I wince in response. 

"You don't have to call me that," I wave my hand at the mirror that he is using to look at me. "I'm fine. Is it possible for you to pick me up from that spot from now on?" 

"Why?" He rubs his forehead in confusion. "Master Lucian asked me to wait for you in the front."

"Yes, but that's when I finish late. But on the earlier days it would be better if you picked me up from there. It's more convenient for me," I lie. 

"But it's a greater distance to walk," He explains and I dismiss him quickly. 

"Please can you just wait for me there?" I urge him with desperation written all over my face. 

"Yes, mistre- I mean Miss Aria?" He suggests and I smile gratefully. 

"Thank you, sir," I settle into the soft material behind me and look up at him. This has to be the longest conversation the two of us have had together. He has his hands planted firmly on the wheel as he stares ahead at the road before us. 

"What's your name?" I ask.

My question startles him and he glances at me through the mirror cautiously. Even though he is Plutonian and I am human, it is as if the roles are reversed between us and he is afraid of me. Although I know he is probably more afraid of Lucian than anything. I've come to learn that about most of his staff which sometimes bewilders me because Lucian has been much nicer than I expected. 

"It's Phillius," He answers after a long pause. 

"Thank you, Phillius," I say politely and our conversation ends there. 

I sigh as I stare out of the window and think about my conversation with Rosie just now in the recreation room. She had asked me about which Plutonian I was staying with and I had given her the bare minimum of answers. Thankfully Cassandra had interrupted before she could ask more but I couldn't shake the feeling of embarrassment now that Rosie knew about it.

I know that eventually our secret will come to light and people will find out that I am Lucian's lover but it also terrifies me at the same time. I don't want people like Rosie to see me as something that I am not but I have no choice. I genuinely like her because she appears to hold the same hatred for the Plutonian's that I do but I am afraid that once she knows that I am supposedly the mistress of a member of the Trinity, she will stop seeing me as a friend.

"I actually have to admit that although you did get a lot of attention at the celebratory dinner, I kind of least expected you to have a Plutonian lover." I remember her words clearly, as if she is whispering in my ear. "No offense, I mean you are pretty but it's just the way you act. Like you joined the army for a purpose but unlike Asta your demeanor and actions are the exact opposite of a suck up, almost like you hate them."

I remember the way she had looked at my face carefully and when I didn't reply she had quickly reiterated. "It's just my observation. Sorry if I offended you in anyway."