Chapter 8: Revelations

Start from the beginning

It felt so good to release our stress after this very exhausting day. We've already failed to find the mystic killer in countless attempts, but the good thing is, he has been always by my side.

With him beside me for all of these times, the feeling of bitterness and sorrow due to my father's demise was somehow eased.

His company made me feel tranquil, secured, and blissful.

"But seriously, Madison."

With raised eyebrows, I faced him right away.

"I have something to ask," he stated with his serious tone, suddenly making my curiosity rise all over my body.

I stared at him, waiting for his continuation.

"Did you ever have your first love?"
In a prompt, that question made me feel tense.

As far as I could remember, I haven't been in love before but...maybe now I do...

Uhh...I-I think so.

Wait, how can you really say if you were in love?
Would there be a checklist?

I was just clueless!

But one thing was for sure, this feeling I have right now...I've never felt like this before.

Sigh.

I didn't know what to say.

"Hey! It's fine if you can't answer that. Take it easy. You look so pale and anxious!" he said and made a chuckle.

"Let me answer it then," he added.

Before uttering a word, he first cleared his throat and turned his chair towards me.

"I met a girl almost seven years ago. She was appealing and unique, but her evident determination and bravery have caught me dumbfounded. Indeed, that girl was my first love."

I just listened to his words, wondering what his point in telling all of these was.

"I was eager to express it to her with the little courage I had, but fate was just so playful," he shared with sudden dismay in his visage.

"When her family knew about it, I was miserable to know that they were against me. They restrained me despite the pleading that I had done. Well, what can I do? She belongs to the nobility while I'm just a simple man."

His heartfelt narration caused a sudden twist of emotion inside of me. It was like a dull pain in my heart out of...perhaps...jealousy towards that girl he was referring to.

"So you've given up? Where's the courage then?" I asked, pretending to be interested in the girl he talked about.

"I didn't. In fact, even though situations have parted us, I tried looking for ways to see her again. I was still hopeful although I know that I was just knocking at the door of impossibility," he whole-heartedly shared with gloom in his eyes, causing me to look away.

"But now, surprisingly, that door opened, and I saw her again."

Upon hearing that statement, I could hardly describe what I was feeling at that very moment.

Was that his way of bidding goodbye? Great move, huh! Yeah, really.

The feeling of bitterness covered my soul once again, and I never spoke any word until he broke the deafening muteness.

"And I'm lucky she's with me right now."

I stopped.

Was he serious?
Did he even bring that girl in here?